Thursday, December 16, 2010

Get in Shape: Update

This morning I met some girlfriends at our local YMCA to do some walking and let's be honest, a lot of talking too. In light of that, I thought today would be a very appropriate day to update you about this post.


Well over three months ago, I posted about how much more exercising I was going to do and my intentions to lose 10 pounds.

There's good news and bad news.

Bad news: I've failed at getting in shape.

I haven't worked out at all. I maybe did the 30 Day Shred one more time after that post. I walk even less because I live in Minnesota and it's a wintery tundra right now. No one walks outside in the winter. No one even goes outside. Unless you are walking from a building to your car.

If I were to pie graph my day, you'd see a large portion of that graph dedicated to me sitting on my couch - writing this blog, Facebooking (can that be a verb?), feeding India, reading the news....

Well, here, I just conveniently made a graph - for the visual learners.



OK. So maybe that's exaggerating a bit. But it feels like I spend that much time on my couch.

And the 1% devoted to exercising? Well, I hope you don't mind that I added up how many times I walk up and down the stairs (2-4 times) and the minutes I spend bouncing India on my hip (10 minutes) and the times I pick her up (countless) and totaled that as my only exercise. That all equaled 1% of my daily time.

No squats. No push-ups. No lunges. I can't remember the last time I did a sit-up.


I did have good intentions. But I have a busy husband so he can't watch the baby. But I just want to relax while India naps. But I hate wearing a sports bra while nursing. But we only have one car so I can't get to the Y. Butt, butt, butt.


I know, I know, I promised good news.


The good news: the 10 pounds are long gone (thanks to my father's metabolism and breastfeeding).


I know most people would be elated to lose 10 pounds, but I'm still mushy. And the fact that I didn't lose it the way I intended (working out), is still a little defeating.

I still eat pizza with hot buffalo sauce on it. I make (and eat) chocolate chip cookies. I eat Nutella and peanut butter by the jar.


AND I sit on my couch.


Yes, half of my goal was accomplished - the weight loss. The other half wasn't - I wanted to firm up. I want to be able to run a few miles any given day. The numbers on the scale don't mean much; I want to feel good. I think we all know the natural high after a great workout.

I'm not about to make this a New Years Resolution or anything, but I do need to be more active. I'm thankful I have some girlfriends with some of the same intentions that encourage me to make my pie chart look a little more balanced.


We may even partake in a little jazzercise, perhaps.  Who wouldn't want this to be a part of their daily routine?


What do you do to stay active? Do you find yourself coming up with lots of excuses to skip working out?

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At December 16, 2010 at 4:14 PM , Blogger laceyamudipe said...

jazzercise isn't like that anymore...I take the classes...they have up to date music

 
At December 16, 2010 at 4:42 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

Darn you and dad's genes and the metabolism! Oh and losing weight while breastfeeding. I'm the opposite while breastfedding. I always hold onto 10 extra pounds. I look forward to being done with breastfeeding just to lose those 10 lbs.

 
At December 16, 2010 at 5:13 PM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

Lacey - No doubt the new music is WAAAAYYYY better! I just find this clip hilarious!

Vanessa - I thought I would hang on to the weight too, hence the goal to lose the weight. But I'm OK with this, just wanna be a little firmer!

 
At December 16, 2010 at 6:45 PM , Blogger rachieannie said...

I literally could not look away from the video. I wanted to turn it off after 30 seconds, but my hand would not go to the X.

 
At December 16, 2010 at 9:15 PM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

I know, right? It's crazy annoying, but yet addictive!

 
At December 16, 2010 at 10:45 PM , Blogger the mom~ said...

I work out 3 nights a week taking 2 classes that I PAY for...that's my motivation! The only excuse i use to NOT workout is hubby out of town or a kid scheduled event, like tonight's Christmas program.

 
At December 20, 2010 at 6:24 PM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

That's great, Salena! I pay for the Y too, but yeah, can't seem to make my way there....

 
At August 9, 2011 at 12:12 PM , Anonymous Vanessa said...

Darn you and dad's genes and the metabolism! Oh and losing weight while breastfeeding. I'm the opposite while breastfedding. I always hold onto 10 extra pounds. I look forward to being done with breastfeeding just to lose those 10 lbs.

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home