Tuesday, December 14, 2010

This ain't your average milk & cookies (lactation cookies)

I recently came across a cookie recipe that is used to help increase breast milk supply. Lactation cookies.

Yes, breastmilk.

I'm trying to build up a supply of breast milk to use when we go out and have a sitter for our daughter, India, or for when I have to work and my husband watches our daughter.  I also donate breast milk (if you're interested in donating, check out Eats on Feets for more information) and want to be able to continue to give.

Before I begin with the recipe, let this be said....

I HATE PUMPING.
LOATHE ENTIRELY.
DETEST.

Of course, I'm very thankful for my nice, electric breast pump, but it's so inconvenient to sit down, pump, wash everything up, store the expressed breast milk, and then wait for all the equipment to dry before putting it away.  And then do it all over again.  I'm lazy.  I'd rather attach her to me - no mess, she's full, less time, we're both comfortable.

Whenever I would pump, I never get a full feeding.  Approximately 3-4 pumping sessions would equal one feeding.  When India was younger I could pump and not notice a difference in my supply.  But now that my supply has settled, I can't just throw a pumping session in while she naps, because she notices and gets really mad that I'm not giving her all that she wants.

The best time to pump is of course, when I miss a feeding.  Well, the reason why I would miss a feeding is because I'm usually in a public place and therefore cannot pump while whoever is watching India gives her a bottle (I just get to deal with leaky, letdown boobs).  I often find myself using up more of my frozen supply than contributing to it.

This is the tea I normally use with great results when I want to produce more milk.

However, when I stumbled upon this recipe for Major Milk Makin' Lactation Cookies from one of my favorite blogs, I knew I had to try it.  I wanted cookies and I wanted more milk (punny, right?).  This was perfect!

Here is the process.

Tired baby? Check.

 Mixing dry ingredients

And sleeping baby :-)  That didn't take long.


 This is where I may of may not have eaten a few spoonfuls. And maybe said spoonfuls were really good.  I don't know though.  Because it's all a MAYBE.

 Pretty maids, all in a row

 Finished product!


The taste test? They did taste a little flaxy at first, but I enjoyed them overall!  When Dallas came home, he was very excited to smell chocolate chip cookies!  So I let him have one, and immediately his nipples started leaking milk.

No, not really.  He did like them though! 

This recipe yields about 3 dozen, and I can say we ate all of those within a week! 

The Milk Makin' Verdict?  I would say they helped.  It's not like I had an oversupply or anything, but it did help me slowly add an additional pumping session after India goes to bed and before we go to bed!  Now 2 pumping sessions produce enough milk for one bottle for India!

Was it worth it?  I will definitely make these again.  They are relatively healthy, taste good & did what they promised to do!

Here is the recipe again, and here is a post detailing galactagogues and how and why these cookies work.  Let me know if you try them!

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At December 14, 2010 at 11:38 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

Oh I'm so glad you tried them before I did. I made cookies tonight, but they weren't for me and they weren't milk cookies, just regular chocolate chip. :) I wish I would have thought to make up a batch of these while I was at it. Darn it! Next time!

Thanks for letting me know it does work though. I had heard it did, and you know I hate pumping (can hardly get a thing), but I too need to build my supply.

 
At December 15, 2010 at 1:58 AM , Blogger JK said...

How fun it is to see my mother's recipe baked (and photographed!) by another. Thank you for sharing. :)

 
At December 15, 2010 at 7:46 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

Love you! I am going to add them to my Christmas cookie baking list. Wonder if anyone would notice???

 
At December 15, 2010 at 10:05 AM , Anonymous natalie muth said...

Thanks for posting and congratulations on the link from Peaceful Parenting! I tried the cookies last week and fund them to be too dry.....did you use flax seed or meal?
I noticed you put Dr. Bronner's on your top ten list, I have a wholesale account and will give you a heads up next time we place an order. The costs are typically around $25/gallon of liquid

 
At December 15, 2010 at 3:11 PM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

That's OK, Vanessa - next time! I'm sure the girls would like them!

THANK YOU so much for letting me share the recipe! :-)

Do it, Kelly. Then tell them what they are mid-bite, and make up something about how they now need to BF Jamie!

Natalie - They were a little dry, but the longer they sat, the more they moistened. I wonder if a little milk or another egg would help with that. Hmmm.... I used flax seed meal. Is that what you used?

I *just* stocked up on Dr. Bronner's, but let me know when you order anyway, just in case!

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home