Thursday, December 2, 2010

My Top 10 Baby Items (Birth to 4 months)

When you get pregnant, I don't know how and I don't know where these things come from, but your mailbox is suddenly drowned in coupons for baby formula, diapers, life insurance information, Amercian Baby magazines and Target baby catalogs.

It can be overwhelming if you are a "research" mom like me - I want to know as much as I can about every product. You can be sure that nearly everything that I have bought for India has been thoroughly researched by me.  I even googled "do babies need their own fingernail clippers?"

I've checked countless reviews, read blog reviews, checked message boards, scoured over ingredient listings and planned carefully for my baby's health, my convenience and to save myself from wasting money. I don't buy the typical things, in fact most of the stuff I love, you can't buy at any old store.  I don't care for most flashy/light-up/princess/mainstream/plastic items. 

If you are looking for unique baby gift ideas, or want to know what every new mom needs, this list could be helpful.  It could at least make parenting and life a little smoother.

These might not be your favorites, but I have loved them all.

Even though this list is a little late as India is almost 5 months old, here are some things, in no particular order, that I've either bought new or used or been given, but I've been very thankful for and I find they are worth every dollar.

1. Moby Wrap, Sleepy Wrap, Baby K'Tan or similar (Price varies) - I've always known I would be a baby-wearing Mama. I love all my wraps, slings and carriers, and they are all favorites at different times, but this is the best for the newborn stage. Don't be overwhelmed with all the fabric, it's really easy to use, and brings instant comfort to baby and frees your hands. Plus, you can breastfeed in it, hands free. Let me say that again: hands free breastfeeding! :)  India insisted on being held, even while she was napping, until she was about 2-2.5 months old, so this was used daily during that time!  I don't actually have a Moby Wrap, but another brand, which is essentially the same thing.

2. Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom Balm ($15) - This balm is organic, made from olive oil, calendula, St. John's Wort, tea tree oil and myrhh to name a few, so it's safe for babies and cloth diapers and is much more than diaper cream. If India has the slightest bit of a rash, I apply it at every changing, and within about 12 hours, it's all cleared up. Bliss.  It's healing for any wounds, actually.

3. Dr. Bronner's Mild Liquid Soap ($2-$14) - I love Dr. Bronner's products, that is no secret! Once again, organic, no SLS's, and unscented so it's a great choice for everything to do with baby. From bathing, to shampoo, to washing toys, spot cleaning, and can even be used in homemade wipes.  Since we don't use shampoo or soap on India's hair, my main use for this has been using it to clean everything baby related!  It's nice knowing that she's not going to be sucking down some toxic soap residue and SHE CHEWS ON EVERYTHING.  Side note: Out of common sense, I quit using most scented items - soaps, perfume, air fresheners, etc - while I was pregnant and still don't use them now, mostly for India's health.  Here is an article detailing scents leaking toxic chemicals!  Turns out there was some reasoning to my madess!

4. Snuggle Wool Blanket ($76) - I love everything about this blanket. My mom, India's Grandma Lisa got it for her as one of her baby gifts. It's soft, fluffy, made from wool and organic cotton. We use it as a blanket and as something to lay/play on. It has a one-inch deep pile. Wool naturally wicks moisture, has antibaterial properties, and is considered hypoallergenic.  It's SO soft and Mommy India loves to cuddle with it!

5. Green Mountain Diaper Company (GMD)- This is a great diaper company to work with!  I cannot say enough good about Karen and the products - always the best - that she features.  We mainly use organic prefold diapers with India, and this is where we get them (you can read more details about my decision to cloth diaper here). If you even dip your foot into the cloth diaper world, you will see the GMD diapers have a great reputation, helpful customer service and incredibly high resale value (yes, used cloth diapers sometimes resell for almost the same price as new!). The GMD prefolds are coveted items.

6. Aden + Anais Swaddle Blankets ($30 cheapie 4-pack Target, $45 for a "real" 4-pack) We use these blankets EVERY.SINGLE.DAY and have since India left the hospital. They are made of muslin, so they are breathable. They are large, making it hard for a little one to wiggle out of and also make great nursing covers. I had originally borrowed a "real one" from my sister, but I needed to return it to her, so I bought the cheapie pack of blankets from Target because I needed some quickly! The "real" blankets are a lot softer and are a few inches larger. I would pick those first anyday over the Target ones, but like I said, I was on a time-crunch.  When and if we have another child, I will grab the "real" ones, any day over the Target cheapies.  If you like extra extra extra soft, their Bamboo Muslin Collection are the softest blankets ever!

7. Infant car seat with jogging stroller - I have a BabyTrend car seat and jogger and I love it! This was my husband's pick because he "didn't want a lame stroller" and he said this is his favorite baby item we have. It's on the low end of joggers at I know some people don't use their strollers but I went on walks almost everyday with India from the time she was 3 days old until she was about 8 weeks old.  Apparently, you aren't supposed to use it without the infant seat when your baby is younger than 6 months.  I recommend the jogger not only for, duh, jogging, but it's ease of mobility. We did use a "regular" stroller with India for 2 weeks on vacation and it didn't even compare with the jogger in smoothness, one-hand maneuverablilty and collapse. The only downside: it doesn't fold as small because of the jogger wheels. But let's face it, strollers take up the whole trunk unless they are umbrella strollers.

8. Pacifier - We didn't really plan on using a pacifier, because I really don't like seeing 4 year olds walking around with their "binkie" attached to their clothing - sucking their thumb was still cute, but sucking on a paci? No.  I generally also believe that pacifiers aren't the most natural thing, and would prefer if she sucked her thumb...but she doesn't. When India was first born, I was her pacifier.  All day long because she wouldn't take a paci.  It wasn't horrible and I survived.  When she was about 8 weeks old, I tried it again, and she loved it!  So, I became a paci Mom.  As much as I didn't want to.  You may see me in 4 years, shopping at a store with India...with her pacifier in her mouth.

9. Boppy with additional covers or My Brest Friend ($50 or so new) - Some people have no Boppy love and just use a pillow whilst breastfeeding. I can understand that. But as a tall woman with a long torso, I would need several pillows. :-) I prop India up on the Boppy for tummy time and I also use it as a prop so she can sit up a little and look around. I imagine it will also be used for sitting up in the next couple of months too. And yes, additional covers are necessary for drool, spit-up, milk explosions, etc. I even keep a waterproof cover underneath because I don't want the Boppy to get all soiled and nsaty. There are many Boppy's and covers at garage sales and second hand maternity stores, if you're OK with that sort of thing.  I will buy many things used, but not pillows - and that's essentially what a Boppy is, a giant U-shaped pillow.

10. Waterproof Pad & Small waterproof pads ($17 each) - There is nothing else I debated getting as much as these (well, maybe and infant car seat). But they save me so many sheet changes and changing pad changes! We keep one on India's changing pad and one in her bassinet. I can't tell you how many times they have "caught" newborn baby body fluids and prevented her mattress from getting wet. A lot of times I will let her lay nekkid with one of these and a cloth diaper under her and it ALWAYS prevents anything from leaking under it. Very worth it.

There's my Top Ten. 

What things made life easier for your family when your kids were that age?

Labels: , , , , ,

30 Comments:

At December 2, 2010 at 11:51 AM , Blogger Lynnae said...

My new favorite thing is baby leg warmers! I got a pair for MacKean (8 mos) and they are great. My three year old, Michael, is going to have to borrow them too! They can be used from newborn to small adults too. Wear them with a onesie and you protect little knees and make diaper changes a snap! Plus free shipping and discounts everytime you meet a price threshold!

www.mylittlelegs.com

ps - can be used as arm warmers too!

 
At December 2, 2010 at 10:41 PM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

We love Baby Legs too! I'm guessing they wil be some of my faves in the 4-8 month stage(and beyond). Right now they work good for quick diaper changes!

 
At December 3, 2010 at 8:32 AM , Blogger Lynnae said...

They are WONDERFUL for crawling babies!

 
At December 3, 2010 at 2:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's interesting about the difference between the "real" Aden + Anais blankets and the ones from Target. I had heard from a friend that Target was carrying Aden + Anais blankets, but I assumed they were the same as the ones you can buy online. Are they marketed by Aden + Anais or under their name?

 
At December 4, 2010 at 3:27 PM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

Yes, Jessica they are. I had heard they were slightly different, by size and texture, and they are. Most of the time I can make do, but with something that gets used everyday, like the aden + anais, I would rather have the best.

 
At December 4, 2010 at 6:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So...how can you tell if the ones you buy are the real Aden + Anais blankets or the Target spinoffs? Because I'm planning on getting the ones for the new baby off Amazon (where I got Cedar's, but I don't think that Target was selling them yet) and I'm wondering which those are...?? :P

 
At December 8, 2010 at 12:25 AM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

I'm almost 100% positive the ones on Amazon are real. I think aden + anais made their own line just for Target. Check the Target dimensions with the Amazon dimensions, and that'll tell you right away!

 
At December 8, 2010 at 2:58 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

Yes Jessica, Gen is correct. Aden + Anais made their own line just for Target, the rest should come from them directly. I remember the company discussing this when they first came out with them. Hope that helps!

And Gen-I have a similar, yet very different Top 10 list!

 
At December 9, 2010 at 10:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Genevieve and Vanessa - Thanks for the info!

 
At March 30, 2011 at 11:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you'll want to get a facebook icon to your site. I just bookmarked the blog, however I had to make it by hand. Simply my suggestion.

 
At August 9, 2011 at 12:10 PM , Anonymous Vanessa said...

Yes Jessica, Gen is correct. Aden + Anais made their own line just for Target, the rest should come from them directly. I remember the company discussing this when they first came out with them. Hope that helps!

And Gen-I have a similar, yet very different Top 10 list!

 
At November 13, 2012 at 2:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy xanax online xanax pills buy - effects xanax birth control pills

 
At November 13, 2012 at 7:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy zolpidem tartrate zolpidem tartrate dosage 20mg - zolpidem tartrate weight gain

 
At November 13, 2012 at 9:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

zolpidem online zolpidem 5mg wirkung - buy ambien online overnight delivery no prescription

 
At November 14, 2012 at 11:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ambien zolpidem zolpidem tartrate trade name - side effects of zolpidem 5mg

 
At November 15, 2012 at 9:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

xanax order no prescription xanax withdrawal uk - what do xanax pills look like

 
At November 15, 2012 at 10:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ativan for anxiety what does an ativan high feel like - high from ativan

 
At November 16, 2012 at 3:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

xanax without a perscription xanax side effects headache - does xanax show up 12 panel drug test

 
At November 17, 2012 at 9:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

generic lorazepam lorazepam 1mg how to take - ativan overdose permanent damage

 
At November 18, 2012 at 5:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy ambien online cost generic ambien without insurance - ambien sleep apnea

 
At November 19, 2012 at 1:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ambien no prescription ambien side effects double vision - much does 10mg ambien sell

 
At November 19, 2012 at 3:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

soma drug aura-soma online readings - order soma in georgia

 
At November 20, 2012 at 7:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

where to buy ambien online ambien online without rx - ambien side effects tremors

 
At November 20, 2012 at 8:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy valium india side effects of valium in men - 5mg valium street price

 
At November 21, 2012 at 11:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

can you buy ambien online ambien cr shortage - buy ambien online

 
At November 22, 2012 at 1:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

cheapest soma buy somatropin human growth hormone - carisoprodol 175 mg

 
At November 22, 2012 at 1:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

valium online pharmacy valium root side effects - price of valium without insurance

 
At November 22, 2012 at 10:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy ambien online ambien cr 5 mg - trazodone vs ambien sleep

 
At November 22, 2012 at 5:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy soma generic soma online radio - carisoprodol to get high

 
At November 24, 2012 at 10:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

generic valium online buy valium online no prescription cheap - valium side effects withdrawal symptoms

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home