Monday, November 22, 2010

Cloth Diapering - for the environment and on the cheap

Cloth diapering was an easy, natural choice for me. A few years ago, before I even started to think about having a baby, I knew I would cloth diaper. For me, it was a personal conviction as a Christian to take care of the environment. Also included in my decision-making was a major dislike of some of the chemicals in disposable diapers and a desire to save money.

My original intent has been to practice Elimination Communication with India, hoping to eliminate diapers within the first 6 months of her life.

Sounds impossible, right? 

Well, it's not. I've held countless diaperless babies, 6 months and younger all over the world, that go to the bathroom when given a cue by their mothers and don't wet themselves. Diapers are not an option. I also babysat a little boy 6 month old boy a few years back, and I practiced Elimination Communication during the few hours he was with me, and he used the toilet everyday for me, usually once or twice in those couple of hours!  So I personally have seen it work.

India has used the potty, as I've read her cues, but I haven't been very diligent in the diaperless arena YET, so back to cloth diapers.... :)

Many people have asked about me about our decisions in cloth diapering, so fasten your seatbelts folks, I'm about to share a whole lot of opinion with you!

In case you didn't know, the cloth diaper world is ginormous! It's way bigger and more advanced than most people are aware of.  Gone are the days of rubber gloves scrubbing poop chunks into the cold toilet water off of a big piece of fabric!  This no longer has anything to do with your mother's cloth diapers.

Cloth diapers also hold their value. I've seen used diapers being sold for nearly the same price as brand new!

So far I've spent around $307 on cloth diapers and accessories and technically, I can get by with not buying another diaper - IF I chose to do that.

This is what I have (items in green fit from birth to potty training):

9 sized diapers - either AIO's, pockets or fitteds
12 size small prefolds
10 one size diapers - pockets and AIO's
4 one size prefolds
24 one size flats
5 one size diaper covers
several inserts and doublers that I purchased separately
3 snappis
1 wetbag
1 reusable garbage can liner
3-4 dozen cloth wipes (most are sewing scraps)

If I go by all my one size diapers, excluding anything that is specific to size, I have 38 diapers that I can use from birth to potty training.

I will admit, for the amount of diapers I have, I really haven't spent that much. I have scoured the internet for sales: waiting patiently for the best deal on seconds and purchasing several diapers on buy one get one sales. A couple of the diapers I have were given to me by my sister and the one dozen small prefolds were bought by India's Grandma, Shelly - both saving me more money.  If I would have purchased the diapers given to me as gifts, I would need to add another $100 onto my previous total.

Currently, my favorite everyday diaper (and this changes about every two weeks!) is a Little Lions flat, which cost a little over a dollar a piece, folded in the trim kite fold. Side note: it doesn't take that long to fold a diaper, it's just a tutorial video takes a bit longer! :) These diapers are so popular and well-loved that they are sold out and have been for a couple of months. I was afraid to fold a diaper, and was sure I would only use prefolds as my everyday diaper, but I'm in LOVE with these!  I use a BumGenius flip cover on them most of the time.                            
                                         India in a Little Lions flat

I also love my Green Mountain Diaper small organic prefolds, which ended up costing a little over $2 a piece! Yes, $2 for an organic diaper!! These were my favorite before I found the kite fold for my flats and they have become a little small on India sometimes. I would like to get another dozen in a bigger size soon.
I also cover these with a BumGenius flip cover.

         Yellow Edge Green Mountain Diaper, about 13lbs


For going out, or when someone else is watching her, I love my Bumgenius Elemental organic AIO's. They are trim, absorbant and easy to use!

The only negative comments I have gotten about cloth diapering are about not being able to handle scrubbing diapers and "your bills will skyrocket with all that laundering" - both which are misinformed statements.

First, you no longer have to scrub cloth diapers in the cold toilet water with your rubber gloves.  India will be exclusively breastfed for at least the first six months of her life, and breastfed-poo diapers can do straight into the dirty diapers bin - no soaking in water. No rinsing, no scrubbing.

Once she starts solids, they sell diaper sprayers which attach directly to your toilet, so you can rinse off solids, then toss into the dirty diaper bin.  We have an extra long shower head which reaches our toilet, so we will use that to wash off the diapers.  There are also thin, flushable diaper liners, that you can line your diaper with when you learn your baby's poo schedule so you don't have to do any rinsing of the diaper.

Secondly, I expected our bills to go up with cloth diapering, but I'm surprised with what I found!  There has been hardly any change.  In fact, it's been so insignificant, I won't even blog about it!

When we begin talking about the cost of disposable diapers, conservative estimates total about $1,500 from birth to potty training per child to over $3,000, all contingent on brand of diapers and length of time in diapers.

I think I'm pretty blessed spending about $300 (or even $500) on diapers for several children. 

I wash diapers about every 3-4 days, depending on our schedule.  So at the most I'm doing 2 more loads of laundry a week.  Not bad.  Also, I line dry quite often, which saves resources.

There you have it, folks. It's long and detailed, but it's about time I shared with what is working for me and answered some of the questions I've received! 

Feel free to add any information or ask any questions you may have! I am by no means, an expert.  I just want to share what I have learned so far!

Have you ever considered cloth diapers? What influenced your decision to cloth diaper or not cloth diaper? 

Labels: , , , , , ,

17 Comments:

At November 22, 2010 at 6:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I switched to cloth trainers when my oldest son(3 1/2) was having issues totally getting the whole potty training idea. If they are going to be in a Pull-Up (acts like a regular diaper) they are going to be in them longer than if they were in cloth trainers.

Then when my youngest(2) showed signs of wanting to potty train we switched him entirely to cloth diaper/trainers. Which I made myself from a pattern I found online and a majority of my supplies came from family/friends.
I have spend maybe $30 and I have a total of 13 diaper/trainers and 19 soaker pads.

He has been in the cloth trainers now for a little over a month and he is catching on really quick.

We still use pull-ups at bedtime just so that way I am not having to tear beds completely down but cloth all day long at daycare he wears the plastic cover but at home he doesn't.

I really wish I had tried cloth diapers sooner.


Mandy

 
At November 22, 2010 at 10:16 PM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

I just love that you made your own - and for so cheap!! And like you said, you have enough so you don't have to do laundry so often. :)

 
At November 22, 2010 at 11:09 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

Great post!! I think often people don't realize how easy cloth diapering is now days. Nor do they realize how cheap it can be. This post is great to show people both of that!

 
At November 23, 2010 at 10:53 AM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

It is very easy, and can be done cheaply, or expensively. Thanks for posting, cloth diaper Queen! ;)

 
At November 23, 2010 at 1:39 PM , Blogger Lynnae said...

I really wanted to do cloth diapers with my boys, but I was not the only one involved in the decision. At the time we were using an in-home part time daycare and grandparents the rest of the time. Neither were too keen on the cloth diaper deal. Dave (hubby) was also not very excited about the laundry that goes with cloth diapers.

So that left me wondering what to do. I made a compromise I guess. Since I do not like the harsh chemicals used in most disposables, I looked for other options. www.amazon.com has GREAT subscribe and save deals on diapers (and LOTS of other stuff). It's one of my favorite things actually!

I found that buying Seventh Generation diapers on amazon was cheaper than buying Pampers (or other similar brand) in the store...so that is what we have used for our boys. I've been very happy with them, but IF (big if) we have another one I may have to reconsider cloth again.

THANKS for the post...good info...

 
At November 27, 2010 at 5:09 PM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

If my hubby wasn't down with cloth diapers, there's no way I would get away with it! IF you have #3, it would definitely be something to revisit. And because CD's resale value is high, you wouldn't have to worry about losing that much money!

I've hear great things about using Amazon for diapers! I'll have to remember that, as we use Seventh Generation when we are gone for more than 2 days, etc.

 
At November 30, 2010 at 11:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh...I love posts like this! :) We have used cloth diapers with Cedar since he came home from the NICU and I LOVE them and can't imagine using anything else! We mostly use Snappied Indian prefolds with Thirsties Duo covers at home and then GroVia (GroBaby) shells and snap-in soakers when we go out (maybe some mamas can do it, but I find it rather difficult to Snappi a prefold on a squirming baby in the front seat of a car! :P).

We also have practiced ECing with Cedar since he was about six months old. I know that's pretty late to start, but honestly I was kind of intimidated by it before then and was sure I wouldn't be able to read his cues, etc., but then he had his first real solid food poopy diaper and that pushed me over the edge. :P Compared with other mamas I know (like Rachel T.) who started their babies earlier, it took a little longer for Cedar to catch on (since he had essentially been trained to go in his diaper for six months), but after the first couple months of doing it, he's now going poo in the toilet about 95% of the time...it's SO nice to hardly ever have to change poopy diapers! I think we're going to wait until he's a little older to attempt trying to catch his pees too, but I don't mind changing wet diapers so it's not a big deal. Maybe you mentioned this in the post and I missed it, but did you start ECing with India from birth? With the new baby I think I definitely want to start earlier than six months, but I'm not sure when. Do you have a goal for when you want her completely diaperless? I know you mentioned by six months in your post, but it seemed like you were saying you don't think you'll get there by then...which is TOTALLY fine, I was just curious! :)

 
At December 2, 2010 at 10:55 PM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

I've heard great stuff about GroVia, and I notice a lot of mom's who use prefolds or flats use those out in public. Are they pretty trim?

That's great that you don't have to deal with very many poopy diapers!! We didn't start EC'ing right away as it seemed like all India did for the first couple of months was poop and pee. I would make the sounds when I'd catch her doing it, but it hasn't been until now that I'm starting to do it more often - pee only. I think she is starting to "get it" now. I don't have a diaper-free goal, but I would love to be using them minimally by the end of next summer. I know it's possible to do EC at any age, but I can definitely see benefits of doing it earlier - especially BEFORE solids!

I've only caught a couple of poo's and that was in the earlier days, when she just poo'ed 24/7. By the time she's pooing(she likes to do it alone, mostly in the car seat!) it's too late to get her on the toilet.

When do you plan on catching more pee's?

 
At December 3, 2010 at 2:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the GroVias are quite trim, but they also seemed sized a little small for a one-size. Cedar is almost a year old and he's been in the largest snap setting for a long time and I'm not sure how much longer they will fit him for. With the Thirsties Duo covers, on the other hand, he's only in the second snap setting of the Size Two and has LOTS of room to grow! When I was pregnant with him and trying to decide what cloth diapers to go with, I originally was going to use GroVias (then GroBaby), but then one of my friends who has used those and Duos told me about the size difference...and so we went with the Duos. And I'm SO glad I did!

I'm not sure when exactly I'm going to try catching more pees... I don't think I'll try before the new baby comes since I think it will only get increasingly more difficult to stay with him on the potty as I get bigger and bigger :P...so only having to do it once or twice a day now is nice, as opposed to the MANY times a day when I start trying to catch more pees. But I don't know...we'll see how things pan out in the next couple months... :)

 
At December 4, 2010 at 3:31 PM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

Good thing you heard that about the GroVias!

I just had a vision of you squatting in the bathroom, with a baby belly, holding a squirming little boy! Quite a funny picture in my head!!

 
At December 4, 2010 at 6:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...no kidding!

 
At June 26, 2011 at 2:59 PM , Anonymous Meggie said...

I am not sure if I want to cloth diaper. I am from a family I nanny-ed that did cloth diapering, and it was a little rough... today my own family uses Pampers. Sometimes my little G girl just totally has a blow out and I am so glad just to trash it. I know, I know, the earth just cringed, but it's super expensive in our area to get it washed and dried commercially, and our dryer/washer isn't up to the job... what's a girl to do?

 
At June 27, 2011 at 10:48 PM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

Meggie, it's on the blowout days that I sometimes wish for disposables lol! That's when my real test comes! :)

 
At August 9, 2011 at 12:11 PM , Anonymous Meggie said...

I am not sure if I want to cloth diaper. I am from a family I nanny-ed that did cloth diapering, and it was a little rough... today my own family uses Pampers. Sometimes my little G girl just totally has a blow out and I am so glad just to trash it. I know, I know, the earth just cringed, but it's super expensive in our area to get it washed and dried commercially, and our dryer/washer isn't up to the job... what's a girl to do?

 
At May 22, 2012 at 10:05 AM , Anonymous Skye said...

I love my cloth diapers!  I do have a question, though - how do you handle serious stains.  My little one has been eating an awful lot of blueberries & blackberries & other big staining foods.  I use soap nuts in the wash.  I have tried line drying in the sun, but this has made no effect.  Any ideas?  The bamboo, especially, is looking reeeaaaaally nasty these days. (and yes, I know they're just diapers, but ...) 

 
At March 10, 2015 at 10:40 PM , Anonymous robin j said...

my name is Robin Jane. I am really pleased with this service. I am one of those people who said, “I’ll never call a psychic or a magician or whatever” to help me with my problems – least of all my love problems, but I reached the point where I knew I needed some guidance, and I’m so glad I found this man called dr. Trust. I never in a million years would have thought I’d be writing a letter like this, but when I nearly lost Andrew in one of our stupid,fights (he broke up with me), I thought I had lost everything.i cry all day and think that he will never come back to me again.i read a testimony by a man called Taylor Borg about him saying that how dr. Trust help him to get back is EX husband within 48n hours.I quickly email him.and also get back my husband with his love spell. And when I was at my most desperate,he didn’t take advantage of me. You performed a very good service for a person in true need. I don’t know how you did it, or how this magic works, but all I know is, IT WORKS!! Andrew my husband and I are happily back together, and I’ll always be grateful to dr. Trust email him for any kinds of help is very capable and reliable for help ultimatespellcast@yahoo.com or Ultimatespellcast@gmail.com tel +2348156885231 ,...

 
At April 14, 2015 at 12:45 AM , Anonymous How I Get My Lover Back With T said...

How I Get My Husband Back With The Help Of Dr Brave

Hello everyone, My name is Morgan Jackson, a citizen of UK, am 42 years of age..we got married for more than 11 years and have gotten two kids. thing were going well with us and we are always happy. until one day my husband started to behave in a way i could not understand, i was very confused by the way he treat me and the kids. later that month he did not come home again and he called me that he want a divorce, i asked him what have i done wrong to deserve this from him, all he was saying is that he want a divorce that he hate me and do not want to see me again in his life, i was mad and also frustrated do not know what to do,i was sick for more than 2 weeks because of the divorce. i love him so much he was everything to me without him my life is incomplete. i told my sister and she told me to contact a spell caster, i never believe in all this spell casting of a thing. i just want to try if something will come out of it. i contacted Dr Brave for the return of my husband to me, they told me that my husband have been taken by another woman, that she cast a spell on him that is why he hate me and also want us to divorce. then they told me that they have to cast a spell on him that will make him return to me and the kids, they casted the spell and after 1 week my husband called me and he told me that i should forgive him, he started to apologize on phone and said that he still live me that he did not know what happen to him that he left me. it was the spell that he Dr Brave casted on him that make him come back to me today,me and my family are now happy again today. thank you Dr Brave for what you have done for me i would have been nothing today if not for your great spell. i want you my friends who are passing through all this kind of love problem of getting back their husband, wife , or ex boyfriend and girlfriend to contact Dr Brave ,if you need his help you can contact him through his private mail: bravespellcaster@gmail.com or you can contact him through his website http://enchantedscents.tripod.com/lovespell/ and you will see that your problem will be solved without any delay....

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home