Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Now that I'm a mom, I understand ________.

Now that I'm a mom, I finally understand naps. Praise God when India gets a good nap in! I used to get a little irked when moms would say that they couldn't partake in such and such activity because their little one needed to nap. I fully understand now. If naptime is missed, my baby may be OK for awhile, but eventually all the missed nap hours compound into mini bits of hell as I try to get my overtired child to sleep later on.

Now that I'm a mom, I finally understand MOMMY'S SHOWER TIME. These precious few minutes are a gift; the only chance to stop working, relax and clear my mind. I get to breathe my own air. I get spit up, pee and poop washed off of me. I actually look in the mirror and look at myself. I shave my legs. I can actually have my boobs exposed, and no one is touching them.

Now that I'm a mom, I finally understand how amazing it is to go to the store, all by yourself. It's WAY more exciting than an anniversary date. Just sayin'.

Now that I'm a mom, I finally understand checking on my baby to make sure she's breathing. I thought moms who did this before were a bit crazy and overprotective. I do it, and actually, even did it as I was typing this.

Now that I'm a mom, I finally understand why moms don't take a lot of time to look super fly. A lot of moms I know didn't workout, wore clothes that didn't fit right, abandoned makeup and started coloring their hair from a box and I swore I would never be that mom. I am. You can usually find me at home, in yesterday's clothes, with the day before yesterday's makeup on, wearing my glasses, with a ponytail in and something stuck in my teeth because I haven't looked in the mirror (other than to look at my babe's reflection) since the night before.

Now that I'm a mom, I finally understand the crazy, throw-yourself-in-front-of-a-moving-bus-to-save-your-child-from-a-pin-prick type of love. I loved my husband (still do!) and am fiercely protective of him, but the voracious need to protect and keep my daughter safe is something unparalleled.



What things have happened in your life that bring you understanding on something you previously didn't understand?

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At November 3, 2010 at 3:45 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

Hahaha! About the boobs and shower time! SO true! I understand a lot of what you mentioned now that I'm a mom. Until I had Zoelle, I also didn't realize the depth of love that mom had for me. Pretty neat!

 
At November 4, 2010 at 10:07 AM , Blogger Lynne Hartke said...

My sister Lisa Malmstrom posted you link on FB for my niece who is a new mom. Very good thoughts and soooooo true.

 
At November 4, 2010 at 4:52 PM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

I understand and love mom all the more since having India!

Lynne - thanks for stopping by! Glad you could resonate with this!

 
At August 9, 2011 at 12:10 PM , Anonymous Lynne Hartke said...

My sister Lisa Malmstrom posted you link on FB for my niece who is a new mom. Very good thoughts and soooooo true.

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home