Saturday, August 14, 2010

The end of an era

This week I had my last appointment with my midwife, whom I have absolutely LOVED! I've only been to the OB/GYN twice before that (yeh, sure I kept up my annual physicals....), who happens to be a man, and never thought anything of it. But with my pregnancy, there was something extra special about working with my midwife, a seasoned woman that sees pregnancy and childbirth in the similar light as I.

This appointment was no longer pregnancy focused. My time with her wasn't spent listening to my baby's heartbeat, or talking about pregnancy ailments, or talking about which birthing skirt I would wear. Instead, our conversation vascillated on a variety of topics, all which clearly cemented that I was, for real, coming to the end of my pregnancy journey.

We talked about how India is sleeping, if we will travel again soon, how I'm feeling, breastfeeding, tetanus, adoption, birth control, solid foods, whose parenting advice to listen to, and a few other humorous things. It felt like chatting with a wise friend. It felt good.

As I walked out of her office, and drove home, I got a little sentimental and emotional (although that doesn't take a whole lot lately).

That's the end of that chapter. A chapter which seemed to last FOREVER, has now come and gone. It was an incredible chapter in my life, one that produced the coolest gift ever.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home