Monday, July 26, 2010

It's a GIRL !!!

It's a little, cute, beautiful, perfect, little girl!!!

After over 17 hours of labor, she was born in the water, caught by me, her Mama, on July 8th, 2010 at 12:37pm, in Alexandria, MN.  She was 7 pounds 8 ounces and 20 inches long. I had a great birth experience, thanks to my doula Crystal, my amazing midwife Jeanne Howell (absolutely LOVED her), and especially my best friend, and India's daddy, Dallas James.

Our little family less than 10 minutes after she was born:
















Introducing....
India Josephine

She cries, and squirms and coos, and stares at me. She sleeps, she eats, she dirties diapers. When she is hungry, she is hungry. She's very vocal. She loves to be nekkid as long as she's not cold. I'm intoxicated with her smell. She wakes me up at night, she entertains me, she demands attention, and she wants to be close to me. Very close. Very, very close. She loves to be held by me.

People say, "Don't hold your baby too much, or you will spoil it".  I think Grandmas make this up because they want to hold the baby! I thought along those lines somewhat, until I had her....






How could I not hold this little bundle of squishyness ALL.DAY.LONG?












All the gazillion hospital tinder pamphlets they send you home with are all in agreement and say you can't spoil a newborn or it's impossible to spoil a baby until it's a toddler.

I like this.


Because my little girl wants to be held by me. She wants to be close to me. After all, she has spent the last 9 months being held by me, comforted by warmth, put to sleep with the sound of my voice, my movements, the beating of my heart.  A good friend, as well as my midwife reminded me of this.

It's no wonder she sleeps the deepest when she is on my chest. She is at peace there, and I'm at peace when she is there.  It only feels natural to have her near me.

She was like this the very first night in the hospital. She cried until I brought her into bed with me. I have very fond memories of her nuzzling as close to my neck as possible that night and breathing softly as both she and I fell asleep.

Call me stupid, but I'm going to hold and cuddle my little girl right now when she wants to be held. Because I know she will soon begin to assert her independence. Soon, her little head will start looking around. Soon, she will start walking. Soon, she will insist on making her own sandwich. Soon, she will walk herself to the school bus, alone. And the list goes on.

So while she is begging for time with me, I'm going to hold her close, love her, kiss her, rock her, dance with her, sing to her, talk to her, and adore her. I'm going to cuddle her, look her in the eyes and communicate nothing but love and security.

I don't anticipate any of that stopping as long as I walk this earth, I just may have to be more covert with my efforts.  Am I right, moms?

Crazy in love


PS - My mom and dad informed me that I was the same way. I then asked them how long it lasted. Their response? "Well, for sure by the time your sister was born when you were two." TWO YEARS???? Really?? I had to be close to them for almost two years?? Oh.my.goodness. Deep breath and a quick mental I-can-do-this message was sent to my brain.

I then asked if I was a spoiled baby and they said no, and that I grew up to be a very independent little girl. I pray the same for my little girl. :)

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At August 4, 2010 at 12:30 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

Beautiful post Gen! And very, very true. Enjoy those snuggles and don't let anyone tell you anything differently as it goes too quickly and you can't spoil her. Only enjoy her!

 
At August 4, 2010 at 7:00 PM , Blogger Tami said...

This was such a beautiful post! Enjoy every second!!

 
At August 6, 2010 at 10:56 PM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

Thanks Vanessa and Tami! I just love her, and absolutely love being with her!

 
At November 3, 2010 at 10:42 AM , Blogger KarinX3 said...

Who was your midwife? I'm thinking of may be doing that if we have another baby.

 
At November 3, 2010 at 11:20 AM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

Hey Karin, my midwife was Jeanne Howell in Alexandria. I highly recommend her!! :)

 
At August 9, 2011 at 12:08 PM , Anonymous KarinX3 said...

Who was your midwife? I'm thinking of may be doing that if we have another baby.

 
At August 9, 2011 at 12:08 PM , Anonymous Vanessa said...

Beautiful post Gen! And very, very true. Enjoy those snuggles and don't let anyone tell you anything differently as it goes too quickly and you can't spoil her. Only enjoy her!

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home