Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I thought I formed her personality

When India was a baby, within hours of her birth, we learned she was very vocal and extremely content in my arms. 

Within a week or two, we realized we had a very passionate, opinionated, vocal, determined, intense, affectionate little girl who loved attention and being close to people, especially me, her Mama.  She didn't like to change clothes, disliked her carseat, hated baths, was easily distracted, wouldn't sleep 'just anywhere' and she also would never tolerate being alone.  No bouncy seat, no swing, nothing.  That's one of the reasons I bought a water sling - otherwise I never would've been able to even shower.


I remember being slightly jealous of other moms who told me stories of their newborn babies laying contentedly on a blanket, while they made dinner.  Really?  Babies do that??

At the same time, a part of me believed a lie that is prevalent everywhere, especially in the church: if you just do this, this and this with your baby, you'll have a compliant baby.  I sometimes wondered if I was doing something wrong and if I had created India's spirited personality.

When India was a newborn baby, I asked a couple of mothers of older children, "Around what age did your child's personality develop?"

All of their responses:  "Right away.  Looking back, their personalities are very similar to what they displayed in their early months of life."  I worried a bit because I had seen some indicators that India was strong-willed.

But I didn't totally believe what they said.  Nope.  I couldn't believe it.  See, I was under the impression that YOU make your child's personality for the most part.  If you just parent this way, or discipline like this, or follow this book, or teach your child about this, or don't do that so your child won't learn your bad habit.  As time went on and India grew, week by week, I noticed some of the same preferences in her little world. 

But wait, I was teaching her something different, so why was she continuing to dislike her carseat and always cry quickly and loudly?!?  I've spent the last 15 months telling my daughter to be gentle with other children and animals, and she isn't.  I've told her a bajillion times to please stop screaming and tantruming in stores because she wants to either get down and/or grab everything and Mean Mommy won't let her, but she doesn't listen.  I've bathed her for 15 months, and she still screams and cries the second she hears that it's bath time.  She's rode in her carseat hundreds of times, but I still get an arched back and a screech nearly every time she's getting buckled in.  For over 455 days, India has had her clothes changed, sometimes many times a day, and she still cries like I'm destroying her life every.single.time.

My previous belief that I determine her behavior from Day 1 is debunked.  If that was true, after a couple of weeks of bathing her, she'd be fine with the bath.  If my consistent, disciplined actions controlled personality, she'd stop the hysterical meltdowns when it's time to change her clothes.  Also, I see parents of multiple children, all parented the same way, with different personalities. 

India at 5 months, throwing a pretty big tantrum (for a 5 month old) because I wouldn't let her eat the Christmas lights.

Over the last month, we've been to several weddings. I've sighed a bit while I've watched other children her age sit in their parent's laps for the entire wedding ceremony!  Then they sit contentedly in a high chair during the meal and reception and maybe even take a nap in their dad's arms.  All the while, my child climbed out of my lap hours ago and hasn't stop running around and screaming since.  Heck, she won't even sit long enough to eat!  I watch my nieces who are her age sit and play nicely at family events (until India comes and terrorizes them).  They don't scream and tantrum and attack other children every 3.5 minutes.  Not much has changed since her first days - she would aggressively hug her cousins since just a few months old. 


She's still loud, vocal, aggressive, affectionate, passionate, constantly moving, fearless, an entertainer, loves to be around people, hates to change clothes, doesn't play on her own or with toys, hates baths, doesn't like her carseat, and will only sleep under the perfect circumstances. 

And you know what?  Nothing I've done has created those things.  In the same way, nothing I've been able to do so far has been able to persuade her otherwise. (Really, I've tried) 

But I'm SO proud of my girl.  I love her spirit!

And really, can I expect anything different?  She has two outspoken, aggressive, passionate, determined, loud and outgoing parents. :-)

Of course I don't let her run around like a little hooligan at all times.  She stays in the cart at stores.  If she screams or tantrums at church, we leave the area.  Throughout the day, I tell her no, we re-direct, I praise her for her accomplishments, express my sadness when she disobeys, and watch her experience natural consequences.

I get the stinkeye from some people in churches, you know, the Christians who have the answer.  Some people look at me with the your child shouldn't be so loud look, or the if you taught her correctly, she wouldn't scream look or the if you made her do that everyday, she wouldn't do that look or the you should be doing this right now in response to her look. 


I think when you aren't a parent, or maybe even when you are a parent, you are quick to judge on how you would do XYZ and problem ABC would be solved.  But that's not always the case.  There is no 'book answer' that works across the board.


I could make my daughter into the little girl others want her to be. 

I could do all the things some popular Christian parenting books tell me to do.  I could control her.  I could break her will.  I could swat her over and over again until she obeyed.  I could make her fear me.  I could yell at her.  I could threaten her.  I could make her submit.  I could do all those things and more to get a quiet, little child.


And those things might calm her outwardly, but it would quench her spirit, crush her trust, and equal outward obedience without a heart change.  It would ruin who God has made her to be. 
 
There are some things in her personality that as her mother I need to work with; to help gently carve, to encourage and to instruct, but ultimately, I love who God has made her to be and see great value in all of her personality traits - even though some need refining with time and growth.  I know that God has created her brimming over with passion and charm and I know He has amazing plans for my zesty, passionate, fearless girl.


God has made her magnetic and full of life, shining and entertaining wherever she goes. For now, I'm learning to shrug my shoulders at the judgmental eyerolls and I just need to remember that I can't control everything about her and I also can't control their judgments.   After all, this is good practice for the rest of our lives and whatever adventures she may partake in, because I have a feeling this is going to be an adventure!  ;-)

My spirited little girl, making her cousin Xiomara hug her (I think we have 30 pictures like this, some of them with Xiomara in tears)

Do you have a spirited child?  When did you realize they weren't just going to 'lay down and roll over'?  What has helped you the most in parenting them?

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At October 4, 2011 at 12:33 PM , Anonymous GretchenR said...

I can so relate to your comments, although we didn't start out that way.  Our first child was very naturally compliant and I would always look down on other mothers thinking "Why don't they just say no?"  Then God gave me my second child, who is much how you described India.  He still can't manage through church, and if we chose to discipline him in a physical way, we'd be spanking all day long.  Nothing worked, and I always felt all eyes on me.  Now I have 4 children, and they are all different.  My first is compliant and friendly.  My second is shy and intense.  My third is laid back and a bit of a ham.  My fourth is just a sweetie so far, but very full of energy!

Our intense child turns 6 today, and just this last summer, my husband and I commented on how it feels like we're coming up for air.  He's such a joy to be around, and it's getting much easier...at least for awhile.

2 things that "worked" for us managing as a family: consistency.  Let your yes be yes and no be no.  We have learned that unless we are willing to see something through, don't bother asking.  He often falls apart when we go back on our word even if it's in his favor.  We don't "force" him to do much because we don't want to lose the battle, making us go back on our word.  It's hard to be consistent with such a little child because you often don't see the fruits of that consistency for years with some kids.  Some kids you see the difference in days, but I for one say that one of my kids took years.

Second, what really helped him when he was melting down was to hold him in a hug and he would fight against us.  We would hold him until he settled down (an hour to 5 minutes...depending on) and then talk to him in a loving way.  Now that he is older, he'll ask us if he can sit and have us hold him for a few minutes when he feels frustrated.  He asks to leave church when he is having trouble (we think he gets overstimulated by the music).  This method of holding him was a means of us coping as a family, and it has benefited all of us.

I hesitate to throw out all means of discipline, even spanking, as a parent.  Not all kids need it, but in some situations, it is the most loving response.  God disciplines His children in such a variety of ways, including physical.  I believe that's because He understands that different situations require different action, and in His wisdom He knows the right thing to do.  I can only pray that I could tap into that wisdom and no the right way to respond with each individual child, in each individual situation as well.

I also know that with some kids, it's the last thing you should do, and it's not the way to reach them.  We need that wisdom from heaven.  It's more essential, and effective than any "method."

Sorry...I write really long comments.

 
At October 4, 2011 at 12:56 PM , Anonymous Tami said...

 Wombs, I LOVED this post. First - I think Eden and India need a play date - ASAP. In a rubber room or a bouncy house thing - we can sit nearby and chat while they play queen of the mountain :) I love the truth in this message. SO often we get the message from those around us - especially in the church - that if we would just do things "this way" (meaning THEIR WAY), our kids would be perfect (read- quiet). There are MANY days when I am exhausted by all of the passion by oldest two exhibit - the middle child in particular - but a million times more I've thanked God for the spirit they have and I don't want to quench that. And SO true that it stuck with her from birth! The docs warned us that her stubborn/fighter self would be an issue once she was two - even as it was saving her at birth :)

 
At October 4, 2011 at 2:45 PM , Anonymous megan hanson said...

Thank you for this post! This comes on a day when I have been struggling with my almost 10 month old all morning. She is like India in a lot of ways. She hates the carseat, baths, swing, bouncer, cuddling and even the sling and swaddling when she was a newborn. She also doesn't really play well by herself (although that one is getting somewhat better). Some days she just follows me around the house whining at my feet. I put her in the sling and sometimes she still whines even though she has been fed and changed. The only time she is happy is when we are out and about, especially my sisters, because she has someone to entertain her.  She still doesn't sleep well but it is much better than the colicky newborn days when I was lucky to get 2-3hours at a time. And now when I tell her no to something, like pulling out the lamp cords and chewing on them she throw s a huge tantrum with back arches and all. I had no idea a 10 month old could throw such a tantrum. I too struggle with others looking at her and saying you need to do this, this, and this and she will be sleeping through the night and not throwing tantrums. I don't want to crush her spirit! I know that God has made her who she is for a purpose! 

 
At October 4, 2011 at 2:54 PM , Anonymous jewelsntreasures said...

I love this post!! So many words of truth. I'm pretty sure we knew within weeks that Zoelle would be spirited. Like you, I remember thinking before we had kids that if we followed "such and such book" that our child would obey. Ha! They obviously have never met my Zoelle! I also noticed the looks, especially in church. I've also been asked before how much we spank her or told that we need to spank her. But I remember when she was just little tiny being thankful for that spirit because I know it is spirits like that, that do wonderful and amazing things! I want that for her! I don't want to change who she is as a person.

As far as what has helped me the most in parenting her...I will say that we have gone in stages. I've made many, many mistakes as a mom to her in that our personalities are so similar that we have often clashed. I would highly suggest reading Raising the Spirited Child. Lots of good insights. Also, for someone like Zoelle Love and Logic thinking has really made a difference in her life. Lastly, because I know my girl, she needs a ton of positives to outweigh the negatives she hears from people about her. :(  She is not deaf and many times she has heard the comments people have said about her spirit (said in a negative way). The days I can stay calm with her, offer her choices, and praise her, she is amazing! If I fail to stay consistent in those things, we both fail!

Overall, I just want to say that I love India's personality (spirited and all) because that is how God made her and she has two incredible parents who will do an amazing job with this spirit that God has blessed them with! :) Love you all!

 
At October 5, 2011 at 3:01 PM , Anonymous Tlnicholas said...

yes, yes, yes!  Love this post.  

 
At October 5, 2011 at 3:04 PM , Anonymous Salena said...

I have a very spirited 5 year old. I knew he was spirited right away, but by age 2, after 2 years of trying to fit him into a mold of who *I* thought he should be, I decided that I needed to allow him to be *him*. When I started working WITH him instead of AGAINST him our lives were much different. I parent him and Ethan totally different, for they are totally different children. What worked(s) with Ethan, does NOT work with Abram. I use to wish/think, why wasn't Abram like Ethan and then I got to thinking how boring it would be to have 2 kids alike. Ethan is so easy going, compliant, go with the flow...where Abram challenges us to be parents and I will be forever grateful for that. He was put in our lives for a very specific reason and I thank God daily for that. I love my boys dearly. there are no answers, or any books out there that can tell us how to parent...we just need to learn what works best for each child and work with it. I still get looks from people regarding Abram and i could care less. We are trying the best we can, with the tools and prayers we have to be the best parents we can be to both our boys.
Thanks for sharing this post!

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home