Tuesday, September 27, 2011

If you see a zombie mom...

*this was written on Monday, but in my zombieness I didn't get this published until today, Tuesday*

If you see a zombie mom, that'd be me.  Yep, hi there, I'm sleep deprived! 

And if you see a zombie dad, that's be my husband.  He says hello.


Forgoodnesssake, you'd think we had a newborn baby in our house, but no, we're actually the parents of an almost 15 month old little girl.  She's super cute.  Really, she is. 

She's also getting her molars, which makes for interesting sleep.

On top of that, we decided that since she's teething this would be an awesome time (sarcasm font) to see if she would possibly take a bottle in the middle of the night from her Dad, instead of me breastfeeding her. 

"What a horrible idea!" you say.  And I know that.


But see, it's actually a good idea because we're trying to get away for a night or two for our 10 year wedding anniversary coming up in a little over a week.  In order for us to 'get away', we need to leave our daughter overnight with someone else.  She still sometimes wakes in the night to nurse, so we wanted to see how she'd fare with a bottle at 5 AM from this someone else. 

Let's just say it wasn't good. 

I "slept" on the couch last night, while Dallas got our bed all to himself, something he probably enjoys because even though he is the largest member of our family, when the smallest member of our family joins us in bed at night, she takes up half of it because she insists on sleeping sideways.  She also insists on kicking him in the face (which, is hilarious), so a night with the bed all to himself is almost as grand as the Vikings winning a football game.  Obviously, neither happen very often.

This picture accurately depicts the average husband/wife bed....



And then you throw the kicking face toddler in there and it actually looks like this...





His lone enjoyment of our bed lasted for, um, maybe 15 minutes when the baby started crying way earlier than her normal middle of the night waking time.  Of course, my Mom Alert, which can standard with the growth of my uterus, kicked in and I laid silently on the couch, listening to the lil' drama mama in the room next door.  I really, really, really just wanted to solve the problem with my b00b...like, Hello!  I have the answer!  We can ALL be happy again! 

But I stayed out of sight on the living room couch.

The good news is that she did take the bottle.  The bad news is that she screamed for two hours before, after and during, resulting in zombie mom and zombie dad.

I guess this could quite possibly be called a 'real parent' now that we're finally experiencing some sleep deprivation.  We've been spoiled rotten and she's always been a great sleeper, so we actually got more sleep during the newborn stage of parenting than ever before in our lives!

I do have to give major props to Zombie Dad; two hours of a screaming 14-month old in the middle of the night is really equal to about 8 hours of sceaming baby in the daytime.  Yep, in the realm of parenting, nighttime woes are quadrupled.  My husband gets major points for last night for dancing with her, singing to her, cuddling her, bobbling her around and just all around loving the little zombie creator who did nothing but scream at the sight of him. 

We're going to try it again tonight, but so far the jury in our house is saying that it looks like India might join us for our anniversary trip because we definitely don't want this zombie-ness to consume another family member!  ;-)

Stay tuned for more Zombie Mom and Zombie Dad....

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At September 27, 2011 at 11:30 AM , Anonymous jewelsntreasures said...

Oh poor babe! This is why we haven't gone away for 4+ years...sigh...

 
At September 28, 2011 at 11:09 PM , Anonymous Janeen said...

I'm so sorry!! We have a 17 month old that doesn't sleep through the night yet (she never has). She's up every 2-3 hours to nurse. I never did get the hang of nursing while laying down, so I nurse siting up in a chair. Sometimes, I fall asleep in said chair, which is horrible. Usually, I can nurse her for about 10-15 minutes and then lay her back down. But, if I fall asleep and its longer, then she wakes up screaming until I put her back on the boob and then it's an hour or more before I can get her laid back down. Yep, zombie mom here too...EVERY DAY. Boy, am I tired. The chiropractor says that she'll sleep through the night when she gets her eye teeth...pray that comes soon!!!

 
At September 29, 2011 at 5:28 PM , Anonymous megan hanson said...

Yep! I feel you!! My 9 month old daughter has never slept really well! Hope she will take the bottle for you soon so you can have a night out with your hubby! My suggestion would be to try. if possible, to give her the bottle before her nap during the day to see if she can get used to falling asleep on it. It's hard when you don't get much sleep!! Wishing you some sleep!!

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home