Thursday, September 1, 2011

I've Got Baby Fever!!

Look out, sweet husband, I've got a baaaaaddddddddddd fever of the baby sort.  I think it's best you not come home for a while because this could be contagious. ;-)

I was browsing pictures of India as a baby, looking at how tiny and squishy and soft and relatively still and semi-quiet and delicious smelling she was when my uterus starting crying like a hungry baby sparrow, "Give me another baby!  I'm emmmmppppty"!

While I told my womb to hush, I remembered that India is still many of those things, and I don't want to miss a moment with her right now, wishing for something more.  But at the very same time, I'm not ashamed to admit I've had moments of Baby Fever ever since India turned one. 

Before that, I was right in line with my husband, who wanted to wait until India was at least two before we even considered another child.

I find myself telling Dallas, "When we have our next baby..." or at a garage sale saying "I'm buying this for the next baby".  I'm sure he's getting sick of it.

I miss planning the logistics of a new child, reading birth books, rubbing and praying over my belly, cleaning every single thing the baby will touch like a germophobe, washing little baby clothes and diapers and being woke up in my sleep by little fluttery kicks.

I love and miss the little coos and the breastmilk drool and the little burps and the rooting and itty bitty clothes and the naps and the first smiles and, and, and, everything about having a little, new, fresh baby. 

For a moment, I even missed being pregnant.  That is saying a lot because pregnancy was not kind to me.  
I miss this.  I could just eat her right up!

But then I have moments where I'm a bit overwhelmed with the constant whining and yelling at me while she traipses after me and/or hangs on my leg at home.  And the embarrassing meltdowns in stores all because she can't hold the baby in the cart we just passed.

And I think, "Could I really handle another child?  What would I do with a baby while India screams bloody murder in Target because I won't let her out of the cart to terrorize another child in a cart?  And what if the new baby is crying too?  Will India finally learn not to be so dominating towards other children or would this baby suffer Shaken Baby Syndrome from India's aggressive behavior?  Can I really keep my calm while India tantrums because I told her 'no' for the 1000th time today and won't let her play trampoline or parachute with my laptop and the new baby screams to eat?  Could India handle sharing me with another sibling?  More like, could India handle sharing my boobs with another sibling?  Can I handle parenting India (who is very spirited) and not give the new baby Bouncy Seat Syndrome?  What if this baby is full of energy and opinions like India?  Can I keep my sanity?"

 But then, once the storm passes with a big hug and a million kisses and cuddles from my sweet girl or she does something adorable, like kiss the flowers and then feed them to her doll and while saying 'eat', I revert back to "You know, with the next baby, I want to try this...." and "What do you think of this name" and "I think India would be nice to a baby".

I know many of you have more than one child and it's a breeze for you.  Just humor me for a moment and think back to when you only had one kid.  Did you think about the same things?

No matter what, I know that God is good.  The deepest part of my being knows that.  He will not give me anything that I can't handle and when I'm tempted to respond with anger and rage, I know He provides a way for me to avert from sin.  I know He has the best plan for my life, my husband's life, and any of our offspring's life.  In Arabic, it's said Inshallah or if God wills it - meaning the ultimate of hope and trust for a possibly difficult endeavor.

Is it always this way? Once you've experienced pregnancy, will you always miss little, itty, bitty babies?   How far apart in age are your children and do you like their age difference?

Labels: , , ,

19 Comments:

At September 1, 2011 at 10:39 AM , Anonymous Amanda said...

I have two and I totally want another its all consuming :P my husband says he wants another yet is also saying that right now we have man on man defense if we have another it will be zone defense. Men are so funny sometimes. I want another so much but in those moments when I think Im losing my marbles with the two I have I wonder why I want a 3rd But I do!!

 
At September 1, 2011 at 10:43 AM , Anonymous LaborofWonder said...

my first two are only 18 months apart (and it was hard the first few months, but they are wonderful playmates and best friends at 4 and 3), my 2nd and 3rd are 23 months apart. I really think the transition from one to two was harder than from two to three. But that may have been in part to my children's ages. I had awful pregnancies as well, but somehow once baby is walking I'm wishing for a new little squishy faced baby. Sadly, we are done now after our three. And as my youngest is very close to India's age... I'm feeling the tug again too.

 
At September 1, 2011 at 10:57 AM , Anonymous Jay and Julie Cruz said...

Ok, my oldest son, Tristan is 5 years old.  His younger sister, Rylie is 4.  They are 16 months apart.  I would not change this for anything.  They are best friends and Tristan never went through a jealousy phase because he was still too young to really get it when she was born.  We thought we were done at 2.  So when i got pregnant again, it was a shock.  I was scared and didn't think i could handle it.  Then, we had our ultrasound and found out i was pregnant with TWINS.  I remember distinctly crying out to God asking why He did this and remembering that he would not give me more than i can handle.  Though i didn't believe that at the time.  The twins, Corban and Kinsley are 15 months old now and 3 years younger than Rylie.  This age difference is good too.  I will tell you, the twins are a complete JOY to have.  They are best friends and Tristan and Rylie are best friends too.. i cannot imagine a better scenario for us!  It was a little hard in the beginning, but i tell people all the time that the twins are easier than Rylie.  She is my spirited one for sure!!  All those months i stressed before they arrived and it turns out God knew what he was doing after all.  Imagine that.  :)  I did get my tubes tied after the twins, but i still feel that need for a newborn too.. even after 4 kids!  I am not sure that ever goes away.  :)

 
At September 1, 2011 at 11:37 AM , Anonymous Jessica T. said...

To answer the first question...definitely yes!  Genoa is only four months old and I already want to be pregnant again! :P :)   It's just something that God put in us mamas...

Cedar and Genoa are 16 months apart...and I like that gap.  Aaron and I both would like there to be a little bit more of a gap between Genoa and the next baby, just to make sure that Genoa can exclusively breastfeed as long she needs to, but I'm guessing I'll have baby fever REALLY badly by the time she's a year or so. :)

 
At September 1, 2011 at 3:47 PM , Anonymous annaliseree said...

Just DO it already!!!  :o)  (Remember, by the time said baby is actually born, it will be 10+ months from now, and India will be THAT much older!!)  

B & H are 19 months apart, and I think it's perfect.  So ready to be pregnant with #3...  hopefully sooner than later!

(and yes, transition from 1 to 2 is HARD, but if I can do it ANYONE CAN!!)  :o)

 
At September 1, 2011 at 3:55 PM , Anonymous jewelsntreasures said...

First, yes I think every mom wants another baby and can't imagine being done with babies...ever! I however, had no desire after Zoelle was born to be pregnant ever again. We all known how that turned out.

Z and M are 2 years apart and I'll be completely honest, I would never do it again. It was complete hell! Of course that is mostly because of Zoelle's personality, but it was so not fun for us. The only way I said I would do it that close again is if we adopted. Which we did, thus X and M are 13 months apart. Now that was a breeze. Partly because I had an easy baby, and partly because Mer didn't seem to ever care or notice the new baby. She never got to be jealous, she just took it all in stride.

Basically, you need to do what is right for you guys and of course I'd love another niece or nephew. If it was us, we'd either have them really close together again (to where the older one doesn't even realize the younger one was never there), or I'd have them 3-4 years apart.

 
At September 1, 2011 at 7:00 PM , Anonymous CJ Olson said...

I don't know if the desire ever goes away to not have kids.  I know I start getting the desire for one more kid after I stop nursing and the boys were walking and becoming more independent!

My kids are two years apart (almost exactly).....and while it was hard to coordinate both spending time with my oldest and spending time with my youngest.....that to me was the biggest struggle.  I love how they are together.  They play together and are little best friends.  Sure they fight an get into trouble.
I will be starting all over again with newborns and baby stuff and I'm almost a little sad (but mostly excited) because I have to start all over again with the baby routine, lack of sleep, dependent on me for everything.  I like the stage that the kids are in....they are more independent they like to play by themselves, they feed themselves and they are "trying" to tell me what they need to do. 

I like having them like two years or younger a part because then you don't have to start all over again.....you sort of still remember the baby routine and are willing to adjust.  But that's just me!

 
At September 1, 2011 at 7:06 PM , Anonymous a momma said...

I felt the same way, My kids are 16,9, 7m...  I started young and we got to throughly enjoy the kids as babies.  Now that we are on #3, I kinda wish they were closer but, I have great helpers and we don't have the total chaos.  That is what worked for us.(  I was only on Birthcontrol for 2 m in these years ).  So that is how our kids were suppose to be spaced I guess.>> God Knows me well enough to know I might not have survived having them close.  But now all I want are babies so we will see :)

 
At September 10, 2011 at 12:54 PM , Anonymous Uniquely Normal Mom said...

That is quite the split of ages!  But like you said, obviously, this is what God had planned!

 
At September 10, 2011 at 12:55 PM , Anonymous Uniquely Normal Mom said...

But just think, a cute litte girl! :)  I've heard it said that less than 2 years is ideal....

 
At September 10, 2011 at 12:56 PM , Anonymous Uniquely Normal Mom said...

Thanks for sharing.  I know it was really tough with Z when M came.  I know it probably has a lot to do with the oldest's personality, but since Z and India have similar personalities in some ways, that is good to note!

 
At September 10, 2011 at 12:57 PM , Anonymous Uniquely Normal Mom said...

Haha, love the do IT comment!  No pun intended, right? ;)

 
At September 10, 2011 at 12:58 PM , Anonymous Uniquely Normal Mom said...

See that's another thing to consider, breastfeeding.  I've just assumed I would be as blessed as my sister and be able to BF as long as I wanted, but I know many women do have supply issues when pregnant.  Since BF'ing is VERY important to me, that is a HUGE factor in child-spacing!

 
At September 10, 2011 at 1:00 PM , Anonymous Uniquely Normal Mom said...

That is an awesome story, Julie!  My hubby wants twins, but I told him when he grows them inside his uterus, then he can ask God for them! ;) 

For real though, you have an amazing story!  Thanks for sharing!

 
At September 10, 2011 at 1:01 PM , Anonymous Uniquely Normal Mom said...

I think there is a resounding "close in age is better".  I've also heard the transition from 1 to 2 is the toughest; even more difficult than 0 to 1.  However, I don't look forward to that day when we are done! :(  Hugs to you!

 
At September 10, 2011 at 1:03 PM , Anonymous Uniquely Normal Mom said...

LOL!  Zone defense!  My hubby is a sports guy, so he'll love that analogy! 

I feel like I'm losing it sometimes with only one, so sometimes I wonder why I want another, but the good outweighs any of the stinky times!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 8:53 PM , Anonymous fronningmd said...

I've been thinking and thinking about this post and wanting to wait to comment until I had a quiet  moment to convey my thoughts...let's just say quiet moments aren't easy to come by around here. :-)
(My kids are 15, 13, 10, 8, 6, 4, 3, 1, and new baby due in November.)  
My thoughts are:  
~going from 1 to 2 is the hardest. You just can't imagine how you could ever feel the same way about another baby, but you can.  I vividly remember feeling like I hadn't done all the things I wanted to do with our son before a new baby came along, but once baby brother was here, all of that melted right away.  
~one of the sweetest blessings for me when welcoming a new baby  is how the other children love that new baby.  It is precious. 
~even though I wasn't "ready" for our first four babies, they are the greatest gift I've ever been given.  Since we surrendered *our* family planning to God's family planning, I've been "ready" for each new baby since then.  I guess what it comes down to for me is that I don't *have* to worry about whether it's the right time, or whether I can do it, or how each child may or may not react since it's no longer my decision to make, but His.  And He's really good at planning families...  :-)

 
At September 24, 2011 at 11:41 PM , Anonymous Kristianmassie said...

I feel the exact way that you do and I can honestly say that i've thought about buying things for the "next baby" and i'm not even pregnant. Our daughter will be turning 3 this November and I have got "BABY FEVER"..in a BIG way! I find myself thinking about itty bitty babies all the time. When I think of being pregnant again my stomach gets all tied up in knots and for a moment I get so excited that I just can't stand it. My husband and I have recently decided that it is time to try for baby number two, so we are offically trying to conceive....Hallelujah.... (sorry, just had to do that). I'm anxious to become pregnant again, but i'm slowly driving myself nuts in the process. I previously had the Mirena IUD and i'm kind of in the "unknown" territory when it comes to my body. I feel like an alien and have no idea what is going on with myself, which is the worst possible thing when you are TTC. On top of being axious to conceive I to have a lot of fears about being a mom of two, instead of one. I worry about how my daughter will handle not being an only child after almost three years of full attention from everyone in our family. Miley loves kids, especially babies, but I still imagine her trying to feed a newborn baby a goldfish cracker or maybe even attempting to carry him or her around by the neck, like she does the cat at times...YIKES!!! But once i'm back to reality, my baby fever kicks back into full gear and I find myslef in  our spare bedroom imagining where the nursery furniture will go. I really enjoyed reading your blog and I can really realte to it. I fear the unknow, but i'm so anxious to get my hands on a newborn again that i'm literally about to explode.....hope that didn't sound creepy.

 
At November 17, 2011 at 9:33 PM , Anonymous Aaa said...

I have only one and she is 6.5 years! I definitely have baby fever! I am currently a student and probably will wait til after graduation! But honestly I love the smell of the newborn and actually like to be pregnant not the sickeness part! It is definitely hard to make a decision on the 2nd child. But I will be ready when the times come..I guess.

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home