Thursday, August 11, 2011

I've been labeled

Breastfeeder.

No Poo.

Crunchy.

Co-sleeper.

Green.

Baby led solids.

Baby wearing.

Natural living.

Organic.

Weird.

All of these words I have used or others have used to describe me.  I've been labeled, but it doesn't bother me.  Labels don't have to be a bad thing. 

Many people don't like labels.  They don't want to have to be forced to fit inside a box, made of perfect square corners.

I don't fit in all of those boxes nicely, nor do I feel compelled that either you or I need to fit into those boxes perfectly.

At what point is someone labeled as someone who practices attachment parenting?  If they co-sleep?  If they wear their baby?  But if they use disposable diapers, they no longer fit in the uber cool attachment parenting club?  Meh.

I 'wear' my baby, but I put her in the shopping cart as well.
We co-sleep but she starts the night (and sometimes stays) in her own crib.
I'm crunchy but I have my fair share of hand-me-down American Eagle and Hollister clothes.
We do baby led solids but my daughter has had jarred baby food.
I eat many organic foods but I have a weakness for McDonald's fries.
I'm natural, but you won't see me without makeup and highlighted hair.


I don't fit in the boxes perfectly, and I'm completely fine with that: it's better that way!  I feel free to be who God has made me to be!



Do you feel confined by labels?  Which labels don't you mind?  Are there any labels you wish you didn't have?

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At August 11, 2011 at 11:24 AM , Anonymous NIcole said...

Boy can I relate!  Sometimes I don't quite fit the earthy crunchy mom crowd (excuse me while I hide to change my son's disposable diaper, eeek!), but definitely not the norm in the "strollerstride" group either.  So nice to know I'm not the only one!

 
At August 11, 2011 at 1:46 PM , Anonymous Uniquely Normal Mom said...

Yep, and it's becoming comfortable in your own skin, again and again! :)

 
At August 11, 2011 at 5:27 PM , Anonymous Corbett said...

I love this and it's kinda how I feel about me!

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home