Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Sometimes I don't love breastfeeding

I was recently in a conversation with some other moms who breastfeed, when one of the moms made the statement that she doesn't love breastfeeding.  Many other moms chimed in in agreement.

She started listing reasons why she doesn't like it and the guilt she feels because of that. 

I've had very similar feelings many times over.

I don't know, but I don't think we have to love something like breastfeeding.  There are many things that we don't like or love, but we still do them anyway.  I don't care for green beans, but I eat them because I know they are good for me.  You don't like your job, but you show up to work anyways because your income provides what your family needs.  He doesn't like his car payment, but his car serves him well. 


I think breastfeeding can be similar. 

Like, love, dislike, hate, indifferent, are all feelings that breastfeeding mothers feel at different times. 

We can have those feelings and still breastfeed without guilt.


I've made lists of the things I like and the things I don't like about breastfeeding.  Many items are on both lists.

I like breastfeeding because:
  • it nourishes my daughter
  • we bond
  • it calms her
  • of the cuddling
  • it's something that only I share with her
  • she needs me
  • of her sweet eyes as she nurses
  • I have to stop and sit and rest while she eats
  • it's a chance to regroup
  • it's a great excuse to get me out of situations I don't want to be in
  • she gets milk drunk; funniest thing ever!
  • of her gentle pats while nursing
  • watching her clap her hands while nursing cracks me up!
  • it protects her
  • her little body warms me up
  • lifting up my shirt gives me a chance to cool
  • sometimes it's the only thing she needs/wants
  • it's convenient
  • it helps her grow stronger and smarter
  • it reduces my risk of cancer
  • it's the best diet ever!
I don't like breastfeeding because:
  • it's a lot of pressure to nourish a baby
  • I would like my b00bs to myself
  • it's something only I share with her
  • she needs me
  • I have to stop and sit and rest while she eats
  • of her not so gentle demands
  • of her squirming acrobatics
  • pumping is the "b" word
  • of the biting and pinching and scratching
  • her little body is hot sometimes
  • it makes me cold to lift up my shirt
  • sometimes it's the only thing she needs/wants
  • it's inconvenient
It may really, really, really surprise you to hear those words from me, the lactivist.  But it's true.  Some days I may love that she's goofing off and clapping and the next day I might get upset because I want to get business done!

Just being honest. 

You don't have to love breastfeeding in order to keep breastfeeding.

What did/do you love about breastfeeding? 

What did/do you dislike about breastfeeding?

What part of breastfeeding would you like to skip?

    Labels: , , ,

    10 Comments:

    At July 26, 2011 at 12:25 PM , Blogger Crystal said...

    Great blog post Gen!

    I love breastfeeding most of the time but since he has gotten two teeth he like to bit also often he pulls my hair as he nurses. Breastfeeding is a gift that keeps on giving but not always nicely lol

     
    At July 26, 2011 at 3:35 PM , Blogger the mom~ said...

    I loved that God made women for this reason, that was a huge reason for me to nurse. I loved being the only one to nourish my child. I love that it could always calm my baby down. I hated that my nipples almost fell off with my first baby and I was in extreme pain for 8 weeks before I got help. I thought since my baby was gaining weight and not crying I must be doing it right, I was wrong. I was thankful I got hlep and continued to nurse him for 14 months and then knew what to do with my second son.

     
    At July 26, 2011 at 6:26 PM , Blogger nanna_hbbb said...

    I have a 14 day old son. He is my gift from god! I love him to death! Unfortunetally I am suffering from mild post pardem and sometimes it upsets me to no end when he cries!

    I am also Brestfeeding! I love/hate it. It's not like/dislike. I either love it or hate it. I'm glade to know I'm not the only one!

    My little guy is NOT a good nurser! I have seen 4 or 5 diffrent lactation consultants thru my hospital(luckily my hospital is "family/baby friendly" meaning if it's good for the baby they support it and gentily push you towards it) so I had lots of support in the hospital and at each of his vists!
    Many of the consultants have told me he is "making me work hard" to feed him... And even that our trubles with breast feeding are more so his "fult" than mine. This encourages me at the same time as it infuriates me. My baby is perfect! He could do no wrong.... But oh man he really can at the same he is just got the worst latch ever! and he may not have teeth but he sure bites hard with that little jaw of his!

     
    At July 26, 2011 at 9:28 PM , Anonymous Patti @ Jazzy Mama said...

    Your words really resonate with me. Every pro and con about breastfeeding could have been words that I have expressed.

    I have 4 children and I have been breastfeeding for 82 of the last 87 months. I don't currently hate BFing, but there have been times in the past few years that I have hated it. Right now, I am a little tired of seeing and handling my breasts all the time. It's like they've lost their allure FOR ME. Does that make any sense?

    I am grateful to have been able to BF all of my children without any problems, but I will not be too sad when my BFing days are over.

     
    At July 26, 2011 at 11:45 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

    I've actually written a post just like this that I have yet to publish. I am like a breastfeeding "queen". Tandem nursing twice and I've been breastfeeding for the past 4 years. I'm not going to lie. I am ready to be done. I just want my body back. I want to lose the last 10-15 lbs. that I cannot lose while breastfeeding. I also want alone time with my hubby. In 4 years, I have never had a night alone with him and I'm ready for that. My plan now is to breastfeed Xiomara until 2, but after that I'm not sure I'll continue on. So like you, I do love it, but I am ready to be done.

     
    At July 27, 2011 at 12:39 AM , Blogger CJ Olson said...

    I love nursing because of the bonding that I got to do with my boys! I loved that time to be in quiet reflection while my child nursed.

    I hated that my body was not my own and that any time the baby cried it was because he had to nurse -- that's what people told me!! I hated nursing because I never had a break from my kids and at times that frustrated me because I just wanted to leave a bottle with my husband so that he could feed the baby and I could get well deserved time to myself.

    However I still nurse because it's great for the kids and I like knowing that I'm providing a great start for my boys!

     
    At July 27, 2011 at 9:09 AM , Blogger sonyamorris (Sonya Morris) said...

    I love that I am the only one who can breastfeed my baby.
    I dislike not being able to find nice affordable nursing clothes that work for me.
    I would have gladly skipped the first three weeks of breastfeeding, or atleast lost all feeling in the tatas for three weeks!

     
    At July 27, 2011 at 9:29 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I love BFing for all of your reasons. Especially cuddling, nourishment, calming, it's convenient, free and she *needs* me in a way she doesn't require of anyone else (I know, selfish of me).

    But... I hate the pressure, the problems I fight (low supply, dehydration, and right now, thrush), timing is inconvenient, she will *NOT* take a bottle (which makes me wonder why I bother pumping when I hate it), sometimes NOTHING else works (even if she's comfort nursing, not eating) and my boobs don't appreciate getting punched, scratched, bit or screamed at.

    Love, Hate.
    And yet I'll still keep doing it as long as she wants.

     
    At July 30, 2011 at 7:49 PM , Anonymous Stephanie said...

    This is right-on. The best and most worthwhile endeavors in life are often the hardest. Breastfeeding is no exception.

    There are many things I like and dislike about breastfeeding, but I have never, ever regretted it. Such a wonderful gift.

    stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

     
    At August 9, 2011 at 12:10 PM , Anonymous Stephanie said...

    This is right-on. The best and most worthwhile endeavors in life are often the hardest. Breastfeeding is no exception.

    There are many things I like and dislike about breastfeeding, but I have never, ever regretted it. Such a wonderful gift.

    stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

     

    Post a Comment

    I love hearing from you!

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home