Monday, August 15, 2011

Where I'm From...

I am from road graders and woods galore; from airplane rides, snowstorms, woodwork, vacations and lazy Sunday afternoons cleaning the garage and listening to 60s music.


I am from a large father-built house, with 4 people and 2 pets, where the sound of cicadas fill the air and golden wheat calmly dances in fields on hot days.

I am from oak trees, sumac trees, milkweeds and thistles.

I am from hard work and play, all brunettes. Grandma Josie and my mom, one determined and loves a good deal, the other full of fun and intrigue to learn all the world has to offer.

I am from dancing while we're supposed to be working, pulling tricks on my sister, late night talks and float plane rides.

Flying with my Dad over some of MN's 15,000 beautiful lakes this summer
I am from loud voices, quiet house, with a dog, Lilly, who holds my secrets and my tears.

I am from "you can do anything you want in the world" and "Jesus loves you and so do I".

I am from Catholics and non-denominationals with a touch of Nazarene, developing a love for all things natural; all the groundwork of my faith.

I am from the Bohemian heart of Minnesota, country hills and fresh, clean river water, neighbor kids who are my best friends and an intense desire to live off the earth.

My 7th grade hippie self, on vacation in Mexico
I am from homemade chicken noodle soup, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, kolaches and boiled shrimp dipped in garlic butter.

I am from a determined and generous man, a kind woman, the namesake of a great-grandmother I never knew, old and new, antiques and the newest and best toys.


I am from the trances of sunsets on the river, songs sung and echoed through the lonely woods and dreams beyond my wildest imagination.


I decided to do this after reading Stephanie's Where I'm From.  You can find the original template for Where I'm From here.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At August 15, 2011 at 5:29 PM , Anonymous Sammy Stender said...

We had to write a "Where I'm From" Poem for English class! 
BTW this is good. :)

 
At August 16, 2011 at 9:15 AM , Anonymous jewelsntreasures said...

I loved it when Stephanie did her version, but I of course especially loved it when you did yours as it brought back such fond memories!! Maybe I'll try it one day.

 
At August 26, 2011 at 12:26 PM , Anonymous Uniquely Normal Mom said...

You should do it! It's really fun!

 
At August 26, 2011 at 12:27 PM , Anonymous Uniquely Normal Mom said...

Thanks, Sammy!  I bet yours was rockin' too!

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home