Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 years ago today...

10 years ago today, I was preparing for my joint Bridal Shower with my soon-to-be-husband. 

I was so excited.  I knew many people from our very supportive church, in which my husband was the youth pastor, were planning on joining us in this celebration of our upcoming marriage.  I couldn't wait to celebrate with friends and family!

I was also anxious to get married and be with the man I loved, with the wedding just a little over 3 weeks away.  My fiance and I were planning on getting together that day and planning our honeymoon.  We waited until close to our wedding date hoping to get something cheap to Mexico.



But things turned from joy to unknown and concern for this young, rural MN girl.  My Mom woke me up on the morning of September 11, 2001, and said, "Genevieve, our country is in shambles!"   I don't know if I will even forget that sentence leaving her mouth and the feeling of my stomach leaving my abdomen as she said with such seriousness the atrocities that were taking place. 


I called my fiance, Dallas, at work and asked for details.  All news (and rumors) spread faster than any other piece of information we've ever heard.


Dallas' Mom recorded the news for us throughout the day so we could see it, as my family doesn't have TV. 


That night, we still had our wedding shower.  I think more people came that night to our already packed gathering for the closeness of the church community and to share their thoughts, worries and concerns. 

Many people left our wedding shower and waited in line for gas that night, as the rumors that gas would either skyrocket or not be readily available were running rampant. 

It was unknown. 



Everything was unknown.  We were all in the same boat.

For the first time, the rural Minnesotan girl was in the same world of disbelief as the top military General; even as the President.


From the greatest among us to the least, we didn't know what this catastrophe meant or how it would impact us as individuals, how it would impact our country and the effects in would have on the world for years, even generations, to come.



Were there terrorists among us?  Were more planes to be comandeered? How many lives have been lost?  How many more lives will be lost? Could we expect war on our territory?  What about biological weapons? Are we safe?

9/11 is a day that will be forever remembered by most of us who read this blog entry.  But yet it seems impossible that an event that stirs so many emotions in us, many of those feelings still raw, leaves the majority of our children reading about it in their history books and someday saying, "I remember my Mom talking about that - it happened a LONG time ago."

This morning, I watch my little girl play on the floor, oblivious to this infamous day, the pain it has caused, the global repercussions, the sacrifice, the anguish, the forgiveness, the love, and the opportunities.  I want to share with her this day; I don't want her to forget.


Never forget.

Where were your when you heard about the events of 9/11?  How do you teach (or plan to teach) your children about this day?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At September 11, 2011 at 10:03 AM , Anonymous Carrie said...

I just wrote my ow blog post about this (as probably many bloggers across the US have been doing).  I was in college in my last semester, and I remember watching the news at home after the towers were hit, and seeing them fall. We stood around our department office all day watching the news. I remember confusion, lots, and lots of it.

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home