Thursday, December 8, 2011

Teaching your Baby Sign Language

When my daughter, India, was just a few months old, we began to teach her American Sign Language and Mandarin Chinese.  I still use a little Chinese with her, but wasn't confident enough in my language skills, so that's on the back burner. 

We focused more on American Sign Language (ASL).  We don't have anyone close to us who is hard of hearing or uses ASL, but we knew that any extra language development would only accentuate her mind.  Why not use one that encouraged early communication, is shown to help children how to read, and
is practical as it's the third most common language in America?

We have primarily used Baby Signing Time and Signing Time DVDs to learn ASL.  Most of the time, I am around to engage in the videos too, but sometimes I do let her watch one while I make supper or start laundry. 

4 months old, India's first time watching Baby Signing Time
We started when she was around 4 months old and have gradually increased to watching three or four videos a week and then we practice them throughout the day.  While I don't normally walk around in the store using only signs to communicate, I do use them here and there publicly.  At home we use them a lot.  If I don't know a sign, I just omit it and sign the words I do know. 

My very favorite story was when India was maybe 11 months old.  She would kind of hug herself.  I wasn't as aware of the fact that she was possibly communicating to me, so I just thought she was being cute.  One day, I put it together, she was signing 'baby'!  She had been signing it for months but I never caught on!  She had been trying to tell me about her baby!  I realized at that time there were several other signs that she using, but I just wasn't paying attention.

That being said, her signs aren't perfect.  Obviously, her fine motor skills are developing, so some signs don't look exactly like they're supposed to.  It's OK, though.  I still understand what she is communicating and sign the correct sign back to her.

India getting Signing Time DVDs for her 1st Birthday
At 17 months of age, India is able to use about 50 signs in their proper context and can understand many more than that.  In addition to her spoken language, it has really enhanced communication, starting at about 10 months.  She can almost always communicate her needs with me, which is a blessing for BOTH of us.  There are some words she says that she no longer signs, but there are some words that she only signs.  Sometimes I only sign to her, which is a really nice thing if we're somewhere that she needs to be quiet!

As her spoken language develops more and more, we will still continue with ASL.  I had several students in my grade who used ASL to communicate and I always wished I would've been able to talk with them more.  If India continues to learn ASL, if she is ever in a situation like that, hopefully that ASL she has acquired will help her form relationships with others she never would've been able to communicate with otherwise.


It's never to late to learn another language.  Never!  It only benefits one's mind to be used in such a capacity, no matter the age.  If someone is 2 or 11 or 36 or 97, it's never too late!  


Do your children know a second language?  Have you ever wanted to learn another language?


Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At December 8, 2011 at 4:18 PM , Anonymous Amanda Palma said...

Brenden does some signs also! NO where near 50 but he does a few and that has been helpful! We have a video but everything he has learned has been from just me teaching him.. Maybe I need to start playing the videos and see what else he picks up! 

 
At December 8, 2011 at 7:06 PM , Anonymous Jessica said...

The goal is for our kids to know both ASL and Korean; much of my fiance's family is Korean, and while he speaks none, I'm learning via Rosetta Stone. I know ASL, Spanish, French, and German currently.

 
At December 8, 2011 at 9:09 PM , Anonymous Sarah Helfinstine said...

I completely forgot that they work on signing at Abby's daycare until we were out for dinner last night and she was making a funny little motion I'd seen her do before, but thought she was just waving.  My sister in law & I finally figured out that she was trying to tell us something & quick looked up baby signing guides on my phone.  Turns out she was actually signing 'milk,' & she downed most of her sippy when I gave it to her!  [Maybe daycare should teach Mommy & Daddy the signs they teach the kiddos too!]

 
At December 9, 2011 at 10:33 AM , Anonymous jewelsntreasures said...

We must think a lot alike because I too was going to post something like this! ;) All 3 of our girls have signed and are somewhat learning Spanish. My goal is for them to be bilingual, but it is tough without Chris or I being bilingual. At least they are getting exposed though. Signing has been the most effective for Xiomara being that she signs a ton and doesn't talk much. It helps us so we can understand her.

 
At December 11, 2011 at 12:24 AM , Anonymous GretchenR said...

My oldest is learning Chinese right now through "Rosetta Stone" and this is her second year.  I need to figure out a way for her to talk with some native Chinese people in our town because though she understands quite a bit, she doesn't communicate much.  This year we started Latin as well and she absolutely loves it!  Languages are by far her favorite subject.

My second oldest might soon start Chinese as he's reading better and "Rosetta Stone" in my opinion requires some basic reading skills. 

 
At February 2, 2013 at 7:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://buyaccutaneorderpillsonline.com/#10263]buy accutane[/url] - accutane no prescription , http://buyaccutaneorderpillsonline.com/#603 accutane cost

 
At February 2, 2013 at 5:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://buyaccutaneorderpillsonline.com/#16162]cheap generic accutane[/url] - accutane no prescription , http://buyaccutaneorderpillsonline.com/#4970 accutane without prescription

 
At February 4, 2013 at 12:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://buyonlinelasixone.com/#14564]lasix without prescription[/url] - cheap generic lasix , http://buyonlinelasixone.com/#6678 lasix online

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home