Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Simple Project: Repurposing an Old Sweater into a Children's Sweater Dress

The final project: my old sweater turned into a sweater dress for my daughter!

I had this sweater.

It was cute, but it made my stomach look poochy.  Not right away, though.  I would put it on and look cute in it for a couple of hours, but then it would make it look like I had a little belly.  Not appreciated.  I sure you may have a sweater or a shirt like that too.

So I put it in a bag for Goodwill. 

As I was bringing the bag to Goodwill, it dawned on me that this sweater was very cute and perhaps I could use it for something else.


Enter: the children's sweater dress!  Dun, dun, dun!


Here is my sweater, which made me look 4 months pregnant approximately 3 hours after putting it on:

The sweater that will soon be repurposed


See, it's pretty cute.


I decided I would just start slicing, taking an inch or two off around the outside.  After all, I just needed a much smaller version of it to fit my daughter.


Cutting away!

 Cutting the right amount off around the neck was quite difficult, but this sweater had buttons, so I knew I had some room to play with it.  I'm also hoping the buttons will come in handy and she can wear this next year as well.  It may be wishful thinking, but whatever.


Then I put the shirt inside out and sewed the opposite sides together. 


(I did use another dress as my template so I didn't have to make my 16 month old daughter put it on over and over again.)


I purposely left the sleeves a little longer so maybe, just maybe, we can get use out of this as she grows.


I then made a denim flower brooch and matching hair clip.  They match her cute, little jeggings.


And here's the final product (after taking laps outside for a bit):


Old sweater turned into a children's sweater dress


I love my daughter's re-purposed sweater dress!  Now I'm on the lookout for more sweaters to make more sweater dresses! 

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At November 22, 2011 at 10:17 AM , Anonymous Nikki Beaver said...

That is adorable. I wish I could sew.

 
At November 22, 2011 at 11:32 AM , Blogger Sarah Helfinstine said...

I love it! I wish I had more time to do fun things like that...I can sometimes squish a fabric flower clip or headband in, but that's about all I usually have time for. :(

 
At November 22, 2011 at 2:05 PM , Anonymous Melissa said...

Crafty Mama!!  Cute!!

 
At November 22, 2011 at 8:26 PM , Anonymous megan hanson said...

So adorable! You are so talented!

 
At November 23, 2011 at 7:58 AM , Anonymous Sarah Jane said...

CUTE!!  Great job re-purposing.

 
At November 23, 2011 at 12:50 PM , Anonymous Madeleine Booth-Smits said...

Well done. That looks so super cute. I've bookedmarked this to make one too! Thanks for the idea.

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home