Thursday, December 1, 2011

Make your own Christmas Stocking (or for your children)!

Make your own Christmas stocking



My daughter didn't have a Christmas stocking last year but I wasn't bothered by it.  She was young and even now it isn't imperative that she have her own Christmas stocking.  But it would be really cute.

I set out on my BFF, Google, and found this tutorial, which didn't have much explanation, but left you with really cute stockings.  I knew I wanted a few things different on my stocking, but I absolutely loved the general idea!

This is a very cheap Christmas stocking, I spent less than $5 for the felt and a bag of buttons.  I had embroidery floss and sequins on hand, but even if you had to buy them, this whole project would still be less than $10 in supplies.  I started this one night after work and made it pretty quickly!  The longest part of it all was stitching the embroidery floss around the initial, but that's because I did that step last. 

Here's what you need:

Felt for stocking (half a yard was enough for me)Contrasting felt for hanging loop, initial and cuff
Embroidery floss (for edges, initial and buttons)

Buttons
Sequins
Hot glue gun
Scissors (pinking shears, if desired)
Sewing Machine


The first thing I did was use a stocking as my template on some ivory felt and cut it out.  I didn't want to freehand this one.  I wanted this stocking to be the same shape as size as our other stockings. 

If I were to do it again, I would cut three patterns instead of two.  The first one would be the front, with all the embellishments, the second would be to help hide what was in the stocking and cover up all the embroidery stitches and the third would be the backside.

Tracing and cutting out the felt

I then cut the letting 'I' out, as that is my daughter India's first initial, a small bit of felt to use as a hanging loop and the felt to make the stocking cuff.



Next I would arrange the buttons, glue them on, then use some embroidery floss to accent them.  Make sure you leave enough room to sew around the edges.
 
Then put your initial on (put all embellishments on before you sew it on) and put some pretty stitches around it with the embroidery floss.


Sew your two sides (or three) together, opposite sides together.


I wasn't sure if I was going to like the closed sides like this....


...and I didn't so I turned it right side out and used my MIL's pinking shears to cut all the edges.



(Remember, I didn't add my buttons until the end.)

At this point I sewed the cuff on, followed by the hanging loop.  I didn't want the stitch to be visible on the outside of the cuff so I sewed it onto the inside.


Now the fun begins!  Add all sorts of embellishments!  Sequins, buttons and embroidery floss made me happy!



Sit back and marvel at your cute, fun creation!  I promise, your kids will love it too!



I hope you enjoy this cheap and easy Christmas stocking!  :-)





Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home