Friday, October 14, 2011

'Twas the morning of surgery...

I'm waiting at a hospital right now for my husband to come out of surgery.  Life has been a bit of a whirlwind the last week or so.

The day before our 10th wedding anniversary, Dallas called me to tell be that it was quite possible that he had tore his Achilles tendon playing basketball and I needed to come and pick him up. 

The ER doctor finally saw him and said it was most likely a sprain or a torn ligament.  Dallas knew better and all his symptoms were indicative of an Achilles injury.  I did a quick Google search about "how to tell if you ruptured your Achilles", which led to a simple video detailing the simple Simmonds' or Thompson test - which was clearly positive.  And also the fact that his Achilles was no longer prominent, when his other one was quite visible, left us scratching our heads as to why this doctor didn't think it was the Achilles. 

The next day, our 10 year wedding anniversary, we had a trip planned to leave our daughter for a couple of days, and celebrate in Minneapolis (I might blog more about my experience of leaving India behind later).  Even with this foot the way it was, we left with crutches, pain meds and ice packs. 

We had a great time, my gimpy boy and I! 

When we got home we spent the next 24 hours dealing with a sad little girl, who definitely let us know she did NOT appreciate us leaving! 

Dallas had an appointment planned in a nearby city for a second opinion and as it turned out his Achilles was ruptured and they planned surgery for first thing the next morning. 


Which would be today.  Right now.  As I write this, he is nearing the end of his surgery. 

I don't know about you, but hospitals can be quite depressing.  As I've been watching people come and go all morning, many have looks of worry.  Some people look fine.  Some people don't look too good at all.  You can tell some have spent so many hours in the sterile chamber and they don't have much life left. 


Dallas and I have spent the last week being grateful for his legs that work.  After using a wheelchair to get around in some malls on our getaway, our eyes were opened to a whole new world.  We've also been thankful that we have health care and several options for care.  Lastly, we've spent more time being aware of those hurting and dealing with physical ailments around us. 

Just a little Achilles injury.  Just a little wake up call.

In our town, there have been a couple car accidents that have severely injured many young people and have even claimed the life of one young girl.  I can't imagine what their families are dealing with, day in and day out, waiting for the slightest sign of improvement.  Waiting and wanting to hug their loved one, free of tubes. 

While I think and pray for my husband as he is in surgery right now, my heart is full of compassion and sympathy and well wishes for those around me who are hurting and restricted within these walls daily. 


Has there every been a time when you've been particularly thankful for your health? 

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At October 14, 2011 at 2:45 PM , Anonymous Connie Denny said...

I feel this everyday in my new job at Abbott NW Hospital. I do patient registration part time. Totally different from what I've done before (fashion, retail, advertising, sales industry). Other than working PT, getting full benefits and I husband suggesting hard to get into healthcare, I was never quite sure why I ever took this job  until recently reminded on a daily basis how I/we can take our health for granted. How materialistic I/we can be. Every day I register people with brain tumors and breast cancer to name a very few. So many patients come to me with a sense of peace and sometimes even a sense of humor and it makes me wonder how I would be if I was ever faced with this challenge. I would hope that if I'm ever tested, I would use it as my testimony.

 
At October 21, 2011 at 11:37 PM , Anonymous Uniquely Normal Mom said...

So true, Connie!  It's such a grim atmosphere, I'm sure, but it really reminds us that we need to be grateful with every day that we have!

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home