Friday, March 25, 2011

Breast Milk Baby Doll- Hypersexualizing our daughters?

A doll that simulates breastfeeding?

The Babe Gloton Breast Milk Baby
"Disgusting!"

"That's exposing my daughter to sexual things."

"What's next, condoms for Barbie & Ken?"

"This is opening the door for teen pregnancy!"

 

People are up in arms about the $99 Bebe Gloton doll, that instead of a bottle, comes with a halter top the girl wears that has flower petals to show where the nipples would be. 

The above statements are verbatim responses of people. 82% of people who viewed this doll, said it as inappropriate. Some are campaigning to have it removed from sales.

It seems the main concern about this doll is that it exposes girls to something they don't need to know about at that young of an age. There has been talk that it is sexualizing young girls, encouraging promiscuity (yes, I'm serious) and forcing a girl to grow up too fast.


Wait, did you just really assume that a 7-year old doesn't notice breasts? Or that she hasn't wondered how babies are fed sometimes? Or maybe you've completely bypassed the breasts and wide hips on your daughter's Barbie doll that you let her play with? What about the Bratz doll, complete with fishnet stockings, a miniskirt and an attitude of "grow up NOW and be cool like me" that is 100 times it's size?
A Bratz Doll, one of the top-selling dolls in the US

Doesn't that seem hypocritical? 

If you really think it's weird or hypersexualizing, can that be your conviction across the board (with Barbie and Bratz dolls) and not just in the realm of a doll that simulates the God-given purpose of breasts?

The ludicrous idea that breastfeeding a doll is a sexual thing, is the very beginnings of how we make girls, who later become women, feel shame and embarrassment about their bodies. 

We deem it dirty and inappropriate.

A young girl imitating breastfeeding is nothing new.  Children role-play all of the time.  I remember pretending to breastfeed as a child and I don't remember ever seeing anyone breastfeed, although I must've seen someone along the way because I knew to put a blanket over my baby while it ate.  I'm guessing at some point I asked my mother what breasts were for and she told me feeding your children. 

I had a few dolls growing up, and some of the fancy ones had bottles.  So what did I do?  Sometimes I fed my 'babies' with a bottle, sometimes I breastfed them.  It was nothing weird or sexual. 

It may surprise you to hear that I most likely wouldn't buy this toy for my daughter.  I probably wouldn't because of the price.  She can play with other dolls and I'll buy her a pack of flower stickers if she wants. :-)

As my daughter grows up, I hope she pretends to breastfeed her dolls, bottle feed, spoon feed and have tea parties with them.  I also hope she pretends to change their dirty diapers, get them dressed and has pretend conversations with them.  I may be off, but I'm pretty sure 99% of girls do things along these lines at some point in the childhood.

But then again, it MUST BE because of all this role-playing with dolls, as young children, that we have such a pandemic with teen pregnancy, so maybe I don't want my daughter pretending to feed her dolls at all.

What do you think?  Has this doll crossed the lines?  Would you let your daughter have one?

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At March 25, 2011 at 6:15 PM , Blogger Rachael said...

This has me fuming! 82% of people think this is inappropriate for young girls? But like you said, Barbie dolls and Bratz dolls are perfectly fine. It's not a wonder so many moms don't feel supported enough to breastfeed their babies, with attitudes like this.

 
At March 25, 2011 at 6:36 PM , Blogger Megan said...

It makes me so upset when people associate breastfeeding and sexuality. When will they realize that breastfeeding is about feeding a child and has nothing to do with sex. I think this toy is actually a good thing because it helps young girls see that breastfeeding is a completely natural and normal way to feed a baby.

 
At March 25, 2011 at 6:47 PM , Blogger Faith said...

This is pretty funny if you ask me. Like you said, what part of breastfeeding is sexual? Although I don't think the flower petals are necessary! It's not even necessary to buy specific toys to encourage your children to pretend to breastfeed, if they have a breastfeeding momma they'll be pretending regardless of what kind of doll they have. I mean, I've seen little boys pretend to breastfeed their stuffed animals!

 
At March 25, 2011 at 10:25 PM , Blogger Becca said...

Oh for crying out loud! I can also remember pretending to nurse my baby dolls as a young girl and no one thinking it was weird. In other cultures brastfeeding is widely accepted as the norm. I wish that were the case here.

 
At March 26, 2011 at 10:38 AM , Blogger the mom~ said...

If I had a daughter I wouldn't buy it because of the price...that's it!
All of my nieces pretend breastfed their dolls, they didn't need a hundred dollar doll to do it. I remember Ethan pretend bf-ing his Elmo when Abram was a baby. In our home, he had never seen a bottle, never knew that babies were fed differently...all his aunties breastfed too. That was just more "natural" to him ;)
If anything, this shows girls what breast are REALLY for!!!

 
At March 26, 2011 at 11:37 AM , Blogger Vanessa said...

The funny thing is, this doll has been "out" overseas for a few years. I remember when it first was released there was talk about it being so strange and wrong here in the U.S. But it was all "talk" until it is actually brought here and now people freak out.

Amen to your post though!! If we sexualize breasts on the Barbie dolls and don't worry about that, then why be angry and worried about a little top with flowers on it?!?

My two older girls have both pretended to breastfeed their dolls. They have even pretended to pump. I'm happy about that and am proud to be showing them a normal, natural, God-intended use for their breasts!

 
At March 26, 2011 at 6:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am totally cool with pretending to breastfeed but I don’t think you need a funky floral top or s $99 doll to do it :)

 
At August 9, 2011 at 12:08 PM , Anonymous Marie said...

I am totally cool with pretending to breastfeed but I don’t think you need a funky floral top or s $99 doll to do it :)

 
At August 9, 2011 at 12:08 PM , Anonymous Faith said...

This is pretty funny if you ask me. Like you said, what part of breastfeeding is sexual? Although I don't think the flower petals are necessary! It's not even necessary to buy specific toys to encourage your children to pretend to breastfeed, if they have a breastfeeding momma they'll be pretending regardless of what kind of doll they have. I mean, I've seen little boys pretend to breastfeed their stuffed animals!

 
At August 9, 2011 at 12:08 PM , Anonymous Rachael said...

This has me fuming! 82% of people think this is inappropriate for young girls? But like you said, Barbie dolls and Bratz dolls are perfectly fine. It's not a wonder so many moms don't feel supported enough to breastfeed their babies, with attitudes like this.

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home