Friday, January 28, 2011

All the things a SAHM should do!

I'm pretty much a SAHM (stay at home mom) and I LOVE it.  I do work, teaching piano lessons from my home and I help my mom about one day a week, but mostly, I'm home.

I had a lot of ideas of what it was going to be like to be home most hours of the day.  I thought about all the tasks I would accomplish and all the free time I would have.  Ahhhhh, what a luxurious life!

What??? You're laughing???  Pshh.

Here is a list of things I was going to do in all my spare time as a SAHM, and behind them is my list of accomplishments related to them. You'll see I've done real well.

- Clean my house. Everyday. Oh, it was going to be SO clean. Mopped floors, dusted baseboards, no cobwebs. (Ha! The dishes get done. Most days. Maybe more like every other day.)

- Bake scones, souffle, creme brulee and other fancy things that include cranberries, white chocolate and poached pears.  All things my friend Annalise does with two babies! (I'm still working on box brownies thankyouverymuch.)

- Or I was at least going to bake cookies. (Grocer's refrigerator section, frozen cookie dough. Yes and amen.)

- Drink tea, burn incense and worship God.  In my long hippie skirt, of course. (Does wearing my nursing pajamas while crying, "please God, help me with this crying baby" count?)

- Paint my bathroom. (No. It has to be cleaned first.)

- Bake treats for my piano students every other week or so. (I'm just glad I make it to piano lessons, dressed, mind you.)

- Visit and talk with my friends, Carma and Devora. (Hi, ladies. How ya doing?)

- Walk with my friend, April. (Yeah....)

- Play piano and sing with my friend Beth. (Beth and I did that. In 2009. Oh yeah, that was pre-India.)

- Go to the Y and workout.  Everyday.  With Jen, Beth and now Tami. (One time I did this!!)

- I was going to garden with my friend/neighbor Jessica. And probably look at interior decorating magazines with her. (I wave to her across the street as we come and go.)

- Make homemade bread. (The only bread we are eating is pre-sliced from a plastic bag.)

- Make lots more homemade food for that matter. (I have perfected "fancy" Mac N Cheese.  Mac N Cheese with lemon pepper.)

- Re-finish my kitchen table. (Tablecloth.)

- Sew curtains for our house, and toys and accessories for India. (Peeping toms are welcome. As are store bought toys.)

- Garden, garden, garden. (It's winter.  Sheesh, people.  I have HUGE plans for spring! You just wait!)

- Play piano, guitar and bass guitar. (I play piano. Have for years. Still playing the same songs I played years ago too.)

- Sell all my crap on eBay. (I have nothing to report on this.  I have however, bought a few things on eBay.)

- Do exercises videos while my baby plays alone on a blanket. (hahaha, "baby plays alone..." hahaha)

- Go out and shop at stores.  (If I was dressed, I would do this.)

- Look smokin' hot, nicely perfumed, dressed in an apron everyday when my husband came home to the smell of fresh baked cookies or bread.  Or creme brulee.  (Most days my glasses are still on as well as yesterday's smudged make-up. I also still smell of yesterday's spit-up.)

- Do my hair and make up everyday. (Does yesterday's make-up count?)

- Get dressed. Everyday.  In real clothes. (Pajamas.)

As you can see, I haven't been very productive as far as that list is concerned.  I guess didn't know that taking care of a baby would demand more time from me than when I worked before India was born. 

She wakes up from a nap, diaper change, time to nurse/check Facebook, puke on clothes, change clothes, start laundry, play, send an e-mail, eat a little bit of cold food(me), baby gets a hold of food and spills it everywhere, clean up spilled food, baby falls down, calm crying baby who bumped her head, put baby in carrier, begin dinner prep only to realize you don't have milk, google "milk replacement" and get sucked into a vegan website, answer phone, entertain baby, put clothes in the dryer, diaper explosion, diaper change, shush baby to sleep, clean up poo-splosion, baby prematurely wakes crying, shush her back to sleep, fold laundry, finish eating cold food, work on blog, start more laundry, baby wakes. I didn't even get to start on dinner, the dishes, the bills, or get the bathroom cleaned.  Repeat every 2-4 hours. 

Forget about souffle.  I just have my eyes set on a shower!

Ahhhhh, just think of all the time I'll have once I have a second baby and they can entertain each other.  I'll be free!  Yep, I'll save this list for then. ;-)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

At January 28, 2011 at 5:18 PM , Blogger Gretchen R said...

I love it! Your baby is still young, so be easy on yourself. The first baby is always the biggest adjustment, too! I can't wait until my Solveig starts going to bed at night at a decent hour. That's when I used to sew and do the things you mentioned...at night after the kids are in bed!

I'm still in p.j.s for most of the day most days...

 
At January 28, 2011 at 8:30 PM , Blogger the mom~ said...

Bwhahahha...I LOVE IT!!!! And oh so true...And if your India is like Abram you won't even get that list accomplished until she starts Kindergarten! I am looking forward tot he fall :)

 
At January 28, 2011 at 9:25 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

I love it!! Very true and I think your last line had me doubled over in laughter! ;)

 
At January 28, 2011 at 9:54 PM , Blogger Melissa said...

This list is HILARIOUS!!!! You hit the proverbial nail on the head--over and over.
I look back on my early years of mothering and I don't know how I made it through!
I will tell you, though, one baby is harder than eight. I actually had a mom burst into tears when I told her that.
She has one little guy and was talking about how trying and long the days can be, and then she stopped herself and said something to the effect of "oh man--look who I'm saying THIS to. What I do must seem like NOTHING to you!" When I told her that one was harder than eight, she cried.
I have other pairs of hands to help me through the day with my babies. Other laps for them to sit on, other people to make silly faces at them or read stories to them, and other pairs of eyes to supervise the little ones while I take a shower!
Take heart, Genevieve...one day...one day.

 
At January 28, 2011 at 10:24 PM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

Glad I made you all chuckle! I had a lot of fun putting this together, remembering all my romantic notions pre-baby.

Life is good right now, I wouldn't want it any other way. I know these days won't last forever, so I might as well enjoy them!

 
At January 28, 2011 at 10:49 PM , Blogger Dawn (Ms. Dawn) said...

this is great! thanks for the reminder of what my life was going to be like when i became a SAHM. i have to say i've accomplished about as much as you have. however, i have successfully made it past poo-splosions and spit up. by the way, spaghetti sauce (from a jar, mind you) in mac & chz is very yummy. i've finally discovered that after 3 yrs as a SAHM. salsa is good too (also from a jar).

 
At January 29, 2011 at 10:19 AM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

Oh, great advice, Dawn! We use a lot of jarred spaghetti sauce...no shame!

 
At February 3, 2011 at 7:21 AM , Blogger Dawn said...

Laughing. Out. Loud.

 
At August 9, 2011 at 12:08 PM , Anonymous Dawn said...

Laughing. Out. Loud.

 
At August 9, 2011 at 12:08 PM , Anonymous Uniquely Normal said...

Oh, great advice, Dawn! We use a lot of jarred spaghetti sauce...no shame!

 
At August 9, 2011 at 12:08 PM , Anonymous Vanessa said...

I love it!! Very true and I think your last line had me doubled over in laughter! ;)

 
At November 11, 2012 at 11:10 PM , Anonymous Pinta said...

So true!! I had the same dream and have the same reality..lol..Try using TypoBounty dot com whenever you have time..it works for me when I am on the web.

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home