Saturday, February 12, 2011

We use cloth everything (almost)!

We don't use paper and/or disposable products in our house.  *gasp!*  Paper napkins, paper towels, paper plates, disposable diapers, disposable pads ad tampons, disposable wipes are some of the things that haven't been added to my grocery list in a while.

For me as a Christian, it is a conviction that I have to take care of God's creation, which includes my body and the environment, and avoid frivolous spending as much as possible.

Most of us spend more money on items that literally become garbage than we donate to stopping sex trafficking, landfills are overflowing, and some of the chemicals used to make these products cause not only a lot of waste, but are not good for our bodies.

My journey with cloth began when I sewed cloth napkins out of remnants at the fabric store for us to use about 3 years ago.  We have about 20 cloth napkins that we use regularly, and still look brand new.  From there I decided it was time to eliminate paper towels.  Last year at this time, my goal was to use 1 roll of paper towels a year.  It's been one year, and I still have about a half roll left! 

It was around that time that I heard of Mama Cloth and ended up making my own.  My friend Annalise blogged about it perfectly from her postpartum perspective using them on Day 1 and then again on Day 5.  I used disposable pads the hospital provided for the first few days after having India because I was nervous about having more laundry, but the disposable pads left me very uncomfortable, and I quickly switched to cloth once I was home.  Relief is all I will say!

I blogged about my journey with cloth diapers and wipes (mostly homemade from scraps and remnants) here and we don't use disposable plates, silverware, cups, etc if we can help it.  Of course, when we are guests with other people we use (and eat) whatever is set before us! :-)

We don't use family cloth, although I know a lot of people absolutely love it.  My husband asked me when and if we are switching to family cloth, but I think we're going to let that one be for a while.  :-)

We are saving hundreds of dollars right now by using cloth as much as possible.  It's not all about saving money, we are lessening our trash and using products with less chemical residues.

I'm not sharing all this to pat myself on the back.  I mention this to share how easy it really is. I know it is intimidating.  I remember wanting to grab a paper towel when I spilled something or to clean something because I was intimidated.

I never would have guessed that years ago I would use so much cloth, as I was all about convenience, but my perspectives have changed greatly over the years as I've read and researched.  I've also seen way too many people who would love to have what we call garbage, making it very hard for me to waste.

What do you use cloth for?  Have you ever considered using more cloth items?  What worries you about cloth products?

Labels: , , , ,

13 Comments:

At February 12, 2011 at 9:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) Your household sounds like ours...people are sometimes so appalled when they find out that we don't use paper towels or paper napkins (or whatever :)). I wrote a post almost exactly like this a couple months ago...http://jessicatelian.wordpress.com/2010/10/16/green/. I love cloth! :)

 
At February 13, 2011 at 2:43 PM , Blogger the mom~ said...

what is family cloth? And cloth pads? Explain this one b/c I'm not seeing it in my head as anything but gross.
When I switched to Norwex products in December we mostly use our cleaning cloths for everything. I would however like to use cloth napkins and just haven't. And I'm not sure I will ever switch to cloth TP.

 
At February 16, 2011 at 9:11 PM , Blogger Patty said...

I Love Your header! Looks great :0)

Patty
http://momsponge.blogspot.com/

 
At February 19, 2011 at 7:08 PM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

Thanks, Patty!

 
At February 20, 2011 at 9:22 AM , Blogger the mom~ said...

Gen-I'm still waiting for you to enlighten me on some of your cloths! i check daily to see if you have answered me!?

 
At February 24, 2011 at 12:18 PM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

I know I answered you already Salena in a message, but I'm sure others have the same questions.
Mama cloth did seem very gross to me too, until someone pointed out that what was gross to them was landfills full of rotting (or not) feminine hygiene items. She pointed out that all it takes to prevent that is just putting stuff in the wash and pressing a button. She put it in a whole new light. :-)

 
At March 23, 2011 at 7:08 AM , Blogger Rachael said...

What is family cloth? What do you use for toilet paper?

 
At March 23, 2011 at 3:19 PM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

Hey Rachael - we use regular TP. Family cloth is using cloth for TP. I'm just not there yet...or maybe ever. :)

 
At March 29, 2011 at 3:57 PM , Blogger Rachael said...

Thanks. I thought about it a little while after I posted the question, and realized that's the only thing it could mean. Then I started thinking about how to go about that, and I think that laundering the family cloth is not something else I want to put on my to-do list.:)

 
At July 5, 2011 at 11:59 AM , Blogger bdschad said...

I just found your blog on a seach about ERGOs and wanted to see what else you were writting about. I love that you are a "green christian"!! I am one too but I don't often find many other people out there that are both, if you know what I mean!! We use family cloth but my husband won't so it's just me and my little guy! Can't wait to read some of your previous posts!

 
At August 9, 2011 at 12:11 PM , Anonymous Madeleine Booth-Smits said...

Great post, sounds like we're doing the same things just on the other side of the world! Scary how similar we sound! I've just written a post like this one; http://nzecochick.blogspot.com/2011/06/oh-cloth-how-i-love-thee.html Looking forward to reading more.

 
At August 9, 2011 at 12:11 PM , Anonymous Mom Sponge said...

I Love Your header! Looks great :0)

Patty
http://momsponge.blogspot.com/

 
At August 9, 2011 at 12:11 PM , Anonymous Uniquely Normal Mom said...

I know I answered you already Salena in a message, but I'm sure others have the same questions.
Mama cloth did seem very gross to me too, until someone pointed out that what was gross to them was landfills full of rotting (or not) feminine hygiene items. She pointed out that all it takes to prevent that is just putting stuff in the wash and pressing a button. She put it in a whole new light. :-)

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home