Monday, February 7, 2011

I Sprout!

A little ways back my status update on Facebook said something like "eating sprouted hummus".  And the witty jokes began about how I shouldn't eat things that are sprouting. :-)

Well, my hummus itself wasn't actually sprouting, but the garbanzo beans I used to make the hummus had been sprouted. 

I've been growing my own sprouts for probably over 3 years.  It's very easy, cheaper than buying sprouts in the  grocery store, and it's way healthier as you can buy organic seeds or legumes and sprout them yourself, with no chemicals.  Sprouts are nutritionally excellent too!



I have used everything from various mixes of seeds to wheatgrass (a cheap way to make your own smoothies) to larger legumes, but my favorite thing to sprout is lentils!  I have made this recipe for Snack Sprouts, and every single person that has tried it has been in love with it and want to know what it is.  They are quite surprised when I tell them they are lentil sprouts!!

You can find a lot of recipes for sprouts, but I mostly just eat mine fresh on a sandwich or in a salad. 

Sprout People is one of the most knowledgeable sites on sprouting. 

I have been using the jar and cover method (this video explains the process), which is very easy, but I would LOVE to win this large sprouter from The Urban Homemaker!


I hope this encourages you to maybe venture out and begin growing your own sprouts! :-)

Do you like sprouts?  Have you ever grown your own sprouts? 

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At February 7, 2011 at 11:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm...I LOVE sprouts! Where do you usually get your sprouting seeds? The only good place that I've found them for a reasonable price is Azure Standard, but they were out of the seed mix the last time we ordered so we're quite low on seeds... :P I've had a similar recipe for snack sprouts for a long time and have wanted to try it, I just haven't gotten around to it yet...but maybe now I will! :)

 
At August 9, 2011 at 12:11 PM , Anonymous jessicatelian said...

Mmmm...I LOVE sprouts! Where do you usually get your sprouting seeds? The only good place that I've found them for a reasonable price is Azure Standard, but they were out of the seed mix the last time we ordered so we're quite low on seeds... :P I've had a similar recipe for snack sprouts for a long time and have wanted to try it, I just haven't gotten around to it yet...but maybe now I will! :)

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home