Thursday, February 3, 2011

Yes! I do wear my baby!

One of the things I get asked about a lot is cloth diapering, and I posted about that here.

Another question I get asked a lot is about baby carriers/slings/wraps (for ease, I will generally call them carriers for the rest of this blog post), so I decided to do a post about the different carriers I own!

I 'wear' India almost every day. Sounds kind of creepy, doesn't it?

I LOVE baby wearing, and the hippie in me has known I would do it before it was even "cool" or even knew there was such a term as baby wearing!  I firmly believe that the first several months of a babies life, it's just easier and best to keep your baby close.  Without a carrier, that is nearly impossible as you have many other tasks to complete in a day! 

Enter, the baby carrier!  Da da dummm!

India does laundry with me, cleans, washes dishes, cooks, gardens, pays bills, nurses, goes on walks with me, goes to the bathroom with me, goes to work with me, and even showers by means of a carrier.  I'm not the type to set my baby down for an hour, to be mindlessly entertained by a TV or flashing toy.  India joins me and gathers information from the world around her.  She loves to "be worn" and I love wearing her.

About 2 months old. <3
Babies want to be close.  They want affection. They want interaction.  When India tires of all the movement, and over stimulation when we are at social gatherings, she can easily snuggle closer and fall asleep.

I am, by no means, an expert, but I am a learning mommy, willing to share with you what has helped in my life!

I have six baby carriers, and I intend to go through and review each of them, in the order that I got them.

1. Traditional Chinese Mei Tai carrier (I paid about $9 in China.  Regularly around $80) - I bought this carrier when I was in China two years ago, knowing that someday we would want children.  I have used this the least, so I don't have much more to say on this!

2. Hotslings (I won this. Normally priced around  $30-$40, depending on the brand.  Hotslings is now out of business, but a very similar sling would be Seven Slings)


    Trying to keep her awake a little longer! 4 months
  • Pros - Packs small, very quick to put on, cheap, India is comfortable in it
  • Cons - Uneven weight distribution can hurt your back, it's cheap for a reason, if not properly used it could easily suffocate a newborn, sized for the individual
I use my Hotsling when I need a sling quickly, like for 15 minutes or less.  I also use it when India is in a bunting bag.  This is one of my least favorite slings, but yet it is valuable for the reasons stated above.  You get what you pay for with this sling.  It is cheap, and doesn't do the job very well.

3. Lillebaby (I received this as a gift, normally around $100)
About 2 months old!

  • Pros - Lightweight, is smaller than an Ergo, can face out on a front carry, adjustable seat area so little ones can fit better, carry all directions, isn't as hot in the summer (compared to a Moby or Ergo).
  • Cons - Straps twist easily, doesn't distribute weight as nicely as an Ergo
I really like this carrier.  India is over 16  pounds right now, but apparently this carrier lasts up to 42 pounds.  My favorite feature (right now) is the adjustable seat area for different sized babies.  If we are going somewhere, and don't have much room for stuff, I pack the Lillebaby.  It was especially nice to have a breathable sling in the summer. 

4. Moby Wrap (I received this as a gift, normally around $40)

About 1 week old, taking her out of the Moby

  • Pros - The most comfortable and natural feeling, baby stays incredibly close, best for napping, can face all directions, one size fits all
  • Cons - All the fabric can be intimidating, it's warm
I used my Moby all the time when India was little!  She loved it!  We still use it, and it's especially nice when we were outside this fall in the cooler weather or when I want India to sleep instantly. This is an excellent carrier.  I loved the simplicity of a wrap-style carrier - feels very basic and crunchy.

5. Ring Sling (mine is mesh for the water $48 - I paid $40)

    Tired, 3 month old baby!
  • Pros - Incredibly lightweight, very breathable, one size fits all, packs up and dries great
  • Cons - Have to wear this correctly or else it would be easy to have an accident
Since India doesn't takes baths, she showers with me in this. I wish, wish, wish that I would've had this last summer because it's so cool and lightweight and I would've loved to take India swimming in it!  I purchased this from a great Etsy mama's store, BabyEtte!

6. Ergo Baby Carrier ($105 to $138 - I got a new organic one for $80!!)

    About to take a nap while I make Split Pea Soup - 6 months
  • Pros - Incredible weight distribution, very sturdy, keeps baby close, good up to 40 pounds, fits all body types, hood included, easiest to use of all my carriers
  • Cons - Baby can't face out (I understand why they do this, but it would be a nice option), very warm, back only goes up to India's shoulders so when she sleeps her head isn't as secure (although this hasn't been a problem yet)
When you dig into the babywearing world, Ergos and Becos are the top soft structure carriers you will hear about.  Many people wonder what the difference is between the Ergo and the Beco, but honestly, it depends on which model you are talking about.  They are both excellent.  When my niece was born 3 and a half years ago, I wore her in an Ergo and a Beco.  For some reason, I liked the Ergo better - it seemed to fit me better.  The Ergo is amazing and I absolutely love it!

Am I missing any?  Not to be covetous, but yes!  I would love some sort of woven wrap for back carries since the Moby isn't safe for that!  :-)  Someday!

In summary - I have spent about $140 on baby carriers, which isn't very much at all, but I would easily spend triple that as these are invaluable to me!  I have all these carriers and use them all for different purposes and reasons and seasons and since several of mine were gifts, I have kept them.

If you are on a tighter budget, I would get a Moby wrap, and a soft structure carrier, like an Ergo or Beco.  If you are really, really, really saving dimes, just get the soft structure carrier.

But remember, as is the case with most things, and is also true with carriers, you get what you pay for! 

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

At February 3, 2011 at 5:16 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

This is a great review of each carrier! I had no idea that Hotslings went out of business! Where have I been?? But yes my Peanut Shell (like the Hotsling) is my least favorite. I loved the Beco with Meridian and did enjoy the Ergo with Zoelle. Can you believe it though, that I actually am enjoying the Ergo more with Xiomara?!? It just fits nice and snug against me. Oh and you are going to love me come March as I am getting a woven carrier for back carry! :)

 
At February 3, 2011 at 6:35 PM , Anonymous Hannah said...

Genevieve,
We are honored to have been included in your list, and so pleased that you love the ERGObaby Carrier!
We'd love to offer you a small token of our appreciation - if interested, please feel free to email me at hannah@ergobaby.com
In any case, thank you for your support. We truly appreciate you!

Warmly,
Hannah
hannah@ergobaby.com

 
At February 3, 2011 at 7:56 PM , Blogger Thrifty and Chic Mom said...

Great reviews I have owned over a dozen carriers and my two must haves if that is all you have are SleepyWrap (like the Moby) and the Ergo Performance they do everything and work for children up to max weight limits.

 
At February 3, 2011 at 9:12 PM , Blogger the mom~ said...

Steven and I wore both our boys, I loved the feeling and wouldn't ever done it any other way. We had a Baby Bjorn and at the time it worked great. if I ever had another baby, which we won't I'd go with something different.

 
At February 3, 2011 at 10:12 PM , Blogger Marie said...

I found this blog linked through some others. I admire your dedication to service and the environment.

We have the ERGO Sport and love it. We used the Heart 2 Heart insert during the early months.

When I was pregnant I researched all kinds of wearable carriers. I kept going back to the ERGO. I liked that it supprted the natural sitting position and was better for hip development. I just knew that this was the right carrier.


Our daughter was born with hip dysplasia.


There was a reason I kept going back to the ERGO.

The ERGO has been a great carrier. It was fantastic when our daughter had her spica cast and works great with her brace too.

 
At February 4, 2011 at 6:24 AM , Anonymous maryanne @ mama smiles said...

Great reviews! I LOVE the idea of a mesh ring sling for the water. Our ERGO wins out over all the other baby carriers in our house, but I love my moby wrap for when they are teeny tiny.

 
At February 5, 2011 at 12:04 AM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

It seems to be the general consensus that a Moby (or something similar) and an Ergo are the top choices and must-haves. :-)

I know I have been blessed by both!

 
At February 6, 2011 at 2:06 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

I have to say I have a sleepy wrap- think Moby- and loved it when Jameson was little but find I am not so in love with it now that he is bigger. My favorite is the ring slings, of course I am partial to them seeing as I am making them. I didn't know theergo wasn't forward facing...hmmm will have to think twice about getting it.

 
At February 7, 2011 at 12:33 PM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

And you make great slings, Kelly! There aren't many soft structure carriers that forward face. Some people have said that is defeats the purpose of babywearing and bonding and babies are too easily overstimulated, with no way to bow out. Beco has recently came out with their Gemini, in which the baby can face out. I know the babe can face out in a Pikkolo too.

 
At February 7, 2011 at 1:18 PM , Anonymous Heather Lewis said...

Hey Gen! I had a Moby-style that was made for me and I have an Ergo that, as of last summer, I was still using with my 2-year-old! Ty is still under the weight limit and likes to be held, so I'm sure the Ergo will get more use this summer with him at 3!

 
At March 5, 2011 at 1:02 AM , Blogger Hippie Housewife said...

Great review of the pros and cons of various styles! I'm so impressed you got a mei tai for $9 in China. Such sweet pictures, too. :)

 
At March 6, 2011 at 10:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just bought an Ergo and I'm so excited to try it on my 1 year old! Thanks for the review! -Becca

 
At August 9, 2011 at 12:11 PM , Anonymous Uniquely Normal Mom said...

And you make great slings, Kelly! There aren't many soft structure carriers that forward face. Some people have said that is defeats the purpose of babywearing and bonding and babies are too easily overstimulated, with no way to bow out. Beco has recently came out with their Gemini, in which the baby can face out. I know the babe can face out in a Pikkolo too.

 
At August 9, 2011 at 12:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just bought an Ergo and I'm so excited to try it on my 1 year old! Thanks for the review! -Becca

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home