Friday, May 6, 2011

Pantry Purge: Days 5-8

I'm back from my quick little rendezvous yesterday!  I had a great time getting my hair did, fixing my phone, looking at some running shoes and doing some secondhand shopping.  The only thing I ended up getting was some secondhand shoes for $5!  They still had the original price tags on and I've been wanting shoes like this forever, but I'm way too cheap to spend $25 on them.

It was a successful day.

OK, back to the Pantry Purge.

You can read about Days 1-4 here to get up to speed.

Day 5: Papa Murphy's had a special on a large taco pizza for $5.55 and you have NO idea how badly I wanted to buy it.  But I didn't.  Yay me!  Well, since I was out of town all day, I had fast food for lunch, and my husband didn't eat all day.  Once I got home, he had to go to work for a bit, then had a meeting, so he didn't get home until 9:30pm.  He had the last of the leftover Black Bean Soup, which became even more AMAZING after it sat for a couple of days!

Days 6 & 7: We are going out of town today for a youth retreat, so we will eat at the camp that we are staying at.  No cooking, again.

Day 8: It's Confirmation Sunday at our church, so we will be busy visiting all the confirmants' houses and eating all their yummy food.  It's also Mother's Day, and I've literally seen my husband for one hour total this week, so I have NO idea what we'll be doing.  I imagine we will be visiting our three moms and eating with one (or maybe all three of them) at some point in the day.  Ooof, that's going to be a lot of food!

Additional foods:
  • I made black bean brownies because I needed something sweet!  They are pretty good and fix my chocolate cravings. They are also packed with protein.  I used up some more black beans. :)
  • I made some guacamole for India and I, and let's just say I already ate about half of it - breakfast, lunch and dinner, baby!  My mom had bought us some avocados, and instead of eating them whole like I usually do, I thought I could use up some of our canned tomatoes and chips.
Purchases: I made my first grocery purchase this month - organic half and half for $1.88.  Mama needs it for her coffee and tea. ;)



Week 1 recap: Well, if you are keeping track, you will notice that I've only made one meal this week.  Only one.  Rather disappointing if you ask me, but that's our busy life. 

And now you know why my pantry is overflowing.  We're not home that often, my husband goes out to eat for work about 3-4 times a week, he doesn't eat much during the day, and he's typically only home about one night a week, so that's when I cook meals. 

I was hoping to make at least 10 meal this month, but at the rate I'm going, it'll be four meals the whole month.

It looks like Pantry Purge could last until May 2012.  Ugh. 

Total spent on groceries: $1.88

Upcoming meals: Venison something (shrimp for me), and tilapia.

I'm really hoping that next week I'll have a few more meals to make.  I might just start cooking grand meals for myself and India! :)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At May 6, 2011 at 3:13 PM , Blogger Tanya said...

There is a fabulous recipe for hobo tilapia online. I alter the spices used a bit, so you can adjust it according to your personal likes. It's really delicious.

 
At May 9, 2011 at 8:37 PM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

Mmmmmm, sounds yummy! I love tilapia in all forms, but that just sounds delish!

 
At August 9, 2011 at 12:10 PM , Anonymous Tanya said...

There is a fabulous recipe for hobo tilapia online. I alter the spices used a bit, so you can adjust it according to your personal likes. It's really delicious.

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home