Thursday, April 28, 2011

Her mom day & NIGHT, but sometimes I fail at the latter

We've been awfully spoiled with India.  In her almost ten months of earth side life, we've only had four or five wake-up-and-scream-for-no-apparent-reason episodes. 

Yes, only four or five.

I know many of you reading this have a one month old that is waking up hourly, or a 10 month old who wakes up every three hours to nurse or a 3 year old who wakes twice a night, or any combination of the above, and you're cussing me out under your breath.

I'm not here to complain about my daughter's sleep habits.  No, sir, I'm not.

This post is a complaint against me.

Normally if India wakes up at night, it's so easy.  Either Dallas or I get her, bring her to bed, she nurses, and after she will either stay in our bed or go back to hers.  No sleep lost on either part, and we're all happy.

Last night, India woke at 1 am, I tried to shush her back to sleep, but she wasn't having it.  I brought her in bed with me to nurse, which she did for a couple of minutes, then she turned restless.  At that moment, I knew we were going to be up for a while, as this is almost exactly what she's done the handful of other times she's got up during the night. 

I was immediately frustrated.  Let me tell you a secret. I turn into this different creature in the middle of the night.  I'm normally a pretty chill mom, my baby cries, I comfort her, no big deal.  But I was angry last night.   

She started crying and screaming, no matter what I did and no matter what my husband did. 

I was frustrated, so he got up with her, which turned her cries into hysterical, overtired screams.  After he had reached his limit, I intervened, holding her and singing, getting her so close to sleep time and time again, but to no avail.  When she has one of these episodes, there is no reasoning with her, no joking with her, no distracting her, no cuddling her, no nursing her - nothing works.  I was beyond frustrated after an hour of screeching.

Then, I had to walk away, leave her in her crib, while she screamed the most horrible screams.  I had reached my limit.

I went into my living room for a few minutes with my husband to cool off.  I was both mad and sad.  We do not believe in crying it out, because of the biological and emotional implications but mostly because that's not how our heavenly Father responds to us when we need comfort.

But at that moment, I said, "She can lay in there all night and scream!  I DO NOT care!"

I sat on the couch, and rambled a prayer like this while my baby cried in the background, "God, I know when I cry out to You, or I'm distressed or confused, You answer me.  You never let me sit alone and scream and cry and leave me disoriented.  You always bring me comfort and peace.  I'm really trying to do that right now with her!  Please help me be patient with her as I try to comfort her.  I really don't understand right now."

II felt a lot calmer and had more resolve, so I went back into the bedroom, held her, rocked her, continued to pray over her, sang over her, and got her back to sleep.

I woke up this morning to a smiley, cuddly, giggling little girl, I was in my right mind and I felt awful.  I apologized to my daughter for leaving her when she needed me. 

You see, when I signed up to be a mom, I signed up to be a mom day AND night.  I can't selfishly say, 'No, it's only convenient for me now' because that is not being wise with my talents.  I have to invest in her day and night, night and day.  I felt like I had failed in my duty, in my commission as her parent.

One of the things that scared me the most though, was that at that moment, I was willing to give up some of my most sacred parenting convictions...all for an hour and a half of sleep.  Is that what's really at the core of me when things get tough?  I'm ready to throw in the towel?

I was cleaning with India a bit this morning, and we had a mix of children's songs playing on iTunes.  The second song that came on was a song by Plumb, called 'Me', which was ironic because it's not really a kid's song.  As soon as it started playing, I started crying, and I knew that God was comforting me in my conviction.

God heard my cries for understanding and once again reminded me how 'crazy blessed and oh so lucky' I am to be her Mama - day AND night.

Please listen to this beautiful song by Plumb.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At April 28, 2011 at 12:03 PM , Blogger Lynnae said...

Oh Gen, we've all had THOSE nights. You are amazing and I have to say that you have handled those moments much better than I have...nobody is perfect, and that's why we not only have earthly parents, but a Heavenly Father too. India (and Dallas) are SO lucky to have you in their lives!

 
At April 28, 2011 at 12:38 PM , Blogger Tami said...

Oh man. This comment is so convicting Wombs! We have been so incredibly lucky up until our latest BLESSING started teething... and while our new remedy has (i think) been helping, she now has allergies and not breathing through her nose has made her miserable - and again we are not sleeping. This time its like not sleeping at all. I am pretty much like you in the middle of the night - except that I put steve in the slot by the door because I get crabby and make him do the singing while I pray through my dreams? ;) Thank you for this amazing reminder of the amazing example of perfect love our Father shows us when we call out... and hopefully I will get better at showing that even in the middle of the night.... though hopefully she'll go back to sleeping through the night instead? ;)

 
At April 28, 2011 at 3:31 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

My girls have been very similar to India as far as the middle of the night goes. In fact I can only remember a handful of times with each of them having a rough night. I also have a ton of patience in the middle of the night so it has never bothered me. What has been tough for me is naps. I cherish my hour or two of break in the middle of the day. I have definitely lost my patience before with Zoelle and just recently with Meridian when they won't nap and all I want is a break. Thank you for the great reminder to love them anyway and to thank God for those extra moments with them!

 
At April 29, 2011 at 12:32 AM , Blogger CJ Olson said...

You know....I have a hard time also with the kids waking up in the middle of the night. When I'm in the moment of they wake up in the middle of the night to nurse.....and it's constant I'm okay. But it's when they can sleep through the night but wake up and it's for not good reason I get so frustrated and that's usually the time when I realize that my kids wake up because they haven't had enough cuddles from me so we found our spot where they will relax and we rock and cuddle and usually fall asleep together. Sadly I don't handle this always the right way but I try!!

 
At April 29, 2011 at 3:55 AM , Blogger Ruvin said...

I can definitely relate! I am usually up very often at night - sometimes I handle it fine and sometimes I get so frustrated and angry. Thank you for being honest about your struggles because I know we all feel this way sometimes!

 
At April 29, 2011 at 8:44 AM , Blogger Melissa said...

Excellent post. Excellent.

 
At April 30, 2011 at 9:15 PM , Blogger Danielle K said...

What a great post! We're still expecting our baby, but I always worry about sleeping or not sleeping and getting frustrated. Thanks for sharing this.

 
At May 3, 2011 at 11:16 PM , Blogger Josh said...

Oh gosh, I'm glad you wrote this. I have had a night EXACTLY like that, and the same convictions & feeling like a horrible person the next day, for the same reasons. Thanks for sharing, it is easier to deal with your weaker moments when you hear them from others too.

 
At May 6, 2011 at 1:03 PM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

:) I'm SO glad I'm not alone in this. It's nice to hear from others and remember that all parents go through this stuff at times.

 
At August 9, 2011 at 12:11 PM , Anonymous Ruvin said...

I can definitely relate! I am usually up very often at night - sometimes I handle it fine and sometimes I get so frustrated and angry. Thank you for being honest about your struggles because I know we all feel this way sometimes!

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home