Monday, May 2, 2011

Pantry Purge: Days 1-4

I've officially started the Pantry Purge for the month of May. 

After I posted my intentions, I became so excited but yet, very nervous at the same time.  Maybe it's the point of documenting my resourcefulness to the world that might have me a little nervous! :)  We decided that it's impossible for us to skip eating out because of ministry meetings, etc.  However, if it's just the two of us, we will make food and not go out to eat, unless we are on the road.

I plan on updating a few times a week, maybe more, maybe less, to share recipes and ideas.  I may or may not update breakfast and lunch.  I normally just eat leftovers, and Dallas doesn't eat either that often, so that's kind of boring.

Here's what has happened so far, and what I plan on doing!

Day 1 - We ate brunch at the local fire station, as they were having a pancake fundraiser.  For supper, we had a small group potluck in which everyone brought Papa Murphy's pizzas.  So, no cooking on Day 1, which wasn't exactly a good way to kick off, but it is reality.

Day 2 -  Dallas had breakfast at a restuarant with a men's leadership team he's on, and I ate breakfast and lunch at work.  He then had his weekly afternoon meeting at a restaurant with another youth pastor to discuss an upcoming mission trip, and now he's gone until 7pm.  I made a variation of Spicy Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup (one of the first of our many bean soups, I'm sure), which Dallas will have once he gets home.  It was simple and very tasty (I guess there's a reason almost 21,000 people have saved this recipe), although not as spicy as I'd hoped.  India loved it too!

Photo courtesy of violetgrr, All Recipes
 Day 3 - Dallas works late again, but we will have leftover pizza.

Day 4 - This day is a Wednesday, which means Dallas isn't home until 11pm, so I probably won't cook at all.  We'll eat dinner at the church or go out to eat with the youth group.

On the horizon... venison loin roast, black bean brownies, and maybe, just maybe if it's nice out some grilled tilapia!

How are YOU doing in the Pantry Purge? Tell me some of your recent kitchen creations!


 

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At May 2, 2011 at 6:40 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I debated so much about doing this officially. I struggled for various reasons...one being we have 6 people in our family and two is that I try to do this on a regular basis.

So, that being said, this is what we had today:
3 kids ate breakfast and lunch at school
Iz and Trav had granola with milk and peach oatmeal, trading soon into it as Daddy caters to little girl's wishes. I had yogurt with Kashi cereal on it.
Lunch was turkey hotdogs (from the freezer), fresh strawberries and raw carrots.
Supper was turkey hotdogs (had to take more out of the freezer), strawberries and a soup/hotdish I made from left over tomato soup, a mixed rice blend and fresh carrots, celery and a large potato. I also added some extra water (as I didn't have a lot of soup, probably 2/3 soup and 1/3 water) and seasoning salt to taste. We loved it. I have some squash soup I bought with the intention of using it to cook the rice blend another time and I will definitely be doing that!

 
At May 2, 2011 at 9:39 PM , Blogger annalise + andrew said...

well, after being so excited about this idea, I went and organized my pantry to see what was actually in there. Turns out most of it is stuff I can't eat right now (Haakon is VERY sensitive to many things, so I have a short list) but will be able to eat again eventually, so it all got sorted and moved to the upper shelves.

As for the freezer, we buy half a cow and are about to buy our new half and so are pretty slim on meat pickings. Other than a few (3 actually) turkeys that I bought for cheap, there's not much there to go through.

In fact, I am realizing I probably need to do more of a "feed the freezer" type month so that I can stock up some good meals in advance! :o/

Looking forward to following your adventures though, and thanks for the motivation to clean my cupboards! :o)

 
At May 6, 2011 at 1:02 PM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

Creative, Becky! I'm hungry right now so all that sounds really good!

I totally understand Annalise, and I'm gladit gave you the chance to organize! :)

 
At August 9, 2011 at 12:08 PM , Anonymous Uniquely Normal Mom said...

Creative, Becky! I'm hungry right now so all that sounds really good!

I totally understand Annalise, and I'm gladit gave you the chance to organize! :)

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home