Friday, February 25, 2011

TGIF

Every day, when the school bus dropped my sister and I off at home after school, we made a mad dash into the house to stake our claim on the best TV in the house: the living room TV.  The other TV, in my parent's bedroom, was small and wasn't near the kitchen and all the activities of the house.

I normally won, because I would get off the bus first, I was faster than her, and I was (am) meaner and bossier as the oldest.  She wanted to watch this show:

If I remember right, this segment of dancing sheep actually scared my sister. ;-)

OK, I confess that I watched more than my share of Sesame Street too when I was younger. 

Anyone remember Ladybug Picnic?

As I got older, this is the show that got me racing off the bus, to claim the 'good' TV.

I loved the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Especially the Party Dude, Michaelangelo.

I know, I thought I was half boy. 

As far as Saturday morning cartoons, I enjoyed Garfield, but I LOVED this guy:

Until my Mom banned him from the house after I walked around for weeks, maybe months or years saying "I know you are but what am I?" in Pee Wee's obnoxious voice, which was very different than his nasal voice or his serious voice or his whiny voice.

Quite the charming kid I was.  And it didn't end there.  In High School, I got Pee Wee's Big Adventure on VHS and memorized most of it.  I can't wait to watch it with India someday.

I grew up in the TGIF era.  Friday nights had THE BEST TV shows!  At the pinnacle of TGIF was the ever-popular....... Full House.
Every girl had a crush on Uncle Jesse, cheered for D.J. and all her teen angst, laughed at Stephanie's quips and had their hearts melted at Michelle's cuteness.  We even enjoyed Kimmy Gibbler. 

I also watched some Perfect Strangers, Family Matters, Step By Step and Home Improvement

But one of my favorite TV characters, and I don't mean TV show, but character, was on this show.

Boy Meets World.
Does anyone remember that show?
I only watched this show for the first season or two, and I LOVED this girl .... Topanga.


She was a hippie, very unique and had a weirder name than I.  I could identify with her.  After a season or two, she became too normal, the show got filled with teenage-ery love crap, and I was finished.  Remember, I was a tomboy??

What TV shows did you enjoy as a kid?  Have you ever watched re-runs of them now?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At February 25, 2011 at 6:45 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

Oh my!! I laughed so hard! For one, I clearly remember that Sesame Street! And you teasing me for it! ;)

I hated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles because it was too scary. I also hated Pee Wee and your annoying voice!!

I of course loved Full House and rooted for Stephanie (she was my favorite). By the way, did I ever tell you that the girl who plays Kimmy Gibler cloth diapers and is a part of Diaperswappers?

Lastly, I remember you loving Topanga because of her name!

Oh how I wish I could watch re-runs of all these shows. They were great!!

 
At February 26, 2011 at 3:02 PM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

I figured you would like that, Vanessa! Nothing like a blast from the past!

I'm glad someone else remembered Topanga, Kelly! Another show that I always liked was The Cosby Show - there's some great re-runs of that on TV too!

 
At February 26, 2011 at 10:56 PM , Blogger the mom~ said...

I also watched:
Perfect Strangers.
227
Family matters.
Couldn't stand:
Alf and Small Wonder.
I love BMW and HI...both were my favorites!

 
At March 2, 2011 at 11:02 AM , Blogger Uniquely Normal Mom said...

I never saw Harry & the Hendersons.

Haha, I remember ALF (annoying), and was Small Wonder the one w/ Vicki the robot? In retrospect, that was kind of weird!

 
At August 9, 2011 at 12:11 PM , Anonymous Vanessa said...

Oh my!! I laughed so hard! For one, I clearly remember that Sesame Street! And you teasing me for it! ;)

I hated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles because it was too scary. I also hated Pee Wee and your annoying voice!!

I of course loved Full House and rooted for Stephanie (she was my favorite). By the way, did I ever tell you that the girl who plays Kimmy Gibler cloth diapers and is a part of Diaperswappers?

Lastly, I remember you loving Topanga because of her name!

Oh how I wish I could watch re-runs of all these shows. They were great!!

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home