Monday, June 6, 2011

My first 5k: Juicy details included.

I like running.  A lot.

But I never sign up for any races.  I hate failure and I really didn't want to be the last person to cross the finish line. 

There.

I said it.

Anyways.  About a month ago, my girlfriends convinced me to do a 5k with them.  I trained jogged 11 times in preparation for the 5k.  I wasn't expecting anything great, but I wanted to finish under 30 minutes.  Or I wasn't going to do the race at all.   That was my goal.  

What I got instead, was an amazing morning, with some of my best friends, great competition, comradery, laughs and the best sense of accomplishment. 

I was pretty nervous the two days before the race.  I DID NOT WANT TO FAIL. Period.  As I listened to my ipod the night before, and blasted Eminem (don't judge, best tunes to get you jacked), I had two thoughts.

One, This is your first 5k. Many people walk their first 5k, so it's OK if you have to walk as well.

Then, the second thought, Go out there and kick some booty!  You have no excuse. Rock this tomorrow. DO IT!

I listened to the latter thought, thankfully.  Maybe if I was listening to Michael Bolton I would've entertained the first thought a little longer.  But nope, Em had my head bobbing, my foot tapping, my mind envisioning, my adrenaline lifting, my face smiling and my head ready.

The 5k participants - Dressed up in our Rosie the Riveter garb


Running the route

Just crossed the finish line! I did it!

My baby was waiting for me.  Even though she had no idea what had just happened, I was so happy to hold her, sweat and all!

The three 5k runners.  We're all nursing mamas and we joked about how many sports bras we were wearing! ;)

I'm content.  I wish I would've pushed it a little more, especially to get out of the slow clump of people at the very beginning, but I just chalk it up as a learning experience.

Finish: 27:51, 104th place out of 452 overall, 40th place out of 311 women, and amazingly I made it into the top 10 of women ages 20-29!

New goal: 26:something??? :)

I can't wait for the next one!

Do you exercise at all?  In what way?  Have you ever run in a race?

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At June 7, 2011 at 10:20 AM , Blogger the mom~ said...

I exercise at Phatty Natties. I ran the 1 mile and as you know I didn't love it and that's ok too. I need to tell myself that it's ok not to be a runner :) You my friend are amazing and I am so proud and happy for your finish!

 
At June 7, 2011 at 3:00 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

Way to go!! I still want to run another one one day. I was in the camp, of let's just finish this. Next time, I want my goal time to be around 30:00. As for exercising...ughh..been terrible lately, but I'm back on this week!!

 
At June 13, 2011 at 10:14 AM , Blogger Maria said...

I love to exercise, especially running and strength exercises. A year ago I decided to train for my first half marathon, which I followed up with a second. Now I am training for three goal races in the fall of 2011-- VA Beach Half, Army 10-miler, and Outer Banks Marathon. I'm praying that I can stay healthy!

 
At August 9, 2011 at 12:10 PM , Anonymous Vanessa said...

Way to go!! I still want to run another one one day. I was in the camp, of let's just finish this. Next time, I want my goal time to be around 30:00. As for exercising...ughh..been terrible lately, but I'm back on this week!!

 
At August 9, 2011 at 12:10 PM , Anonymous Maria said...

I love to exercise, especially running and strength exercises. A year ago I decided to train for my first half marathon, which I followed up with a second. Now I am training for three goal races in the fall of 2011-- VA Beach Half, Army 10-miler, and Outer Banks Marathon. I'm praying that I can stay healthy!

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home