Monday, July 16, 2012

No Poo Cheats, Tips & Tricks

In 3 years of being shampoo free (yes, you read that correctly, I don't wash my hair with shampoo), I've learned a few things.  I've learned the basics of what method works for me in my usual routine, but I've also acquired some cheats along the way!

If you want more details to either get started or solve some common problems, here's my usual washing details and here's a list of the most common questions I receive about being Poo Free.


My daughter and I!  Both shampoo free!
 In between the usual seven, eight, nine, ten days of a shampoo free wash, my hair sometimes encounters lots of different environments.  Here are some of my top tips to either extending the length between washes or dealing with unforeseen circumstances in between washes.

Cheat: Scent-Be-Gone! 

Ever been in a house or restaurant where bacon is being fried?  Really, if they're frying anything, you WILL stink, especially if you are a female with longer hair.  What do most people do when they have an unwanted scent in their hair?  They go home and wash their hair.  But what can you do if you're No Poo and you just washed yesterday?  You can't wash again, otherwise you might threaten your No Poo groove.  And you certainly can't walk around smelling like IHOP until your next shampoo free wash! 

Enter...Scent-Be-Gone!  Actually, it's nothing that fancy.  I mix a few drops of lemon essential oil (order here) with some water, mixed in a spray bottle, sprayed on your hair.  It works great and leaves your hair smelling neutral.  

From everything that I can tell, this does NOT bleach my hair, but I use Young Living essential oils, so I can't promise what your results will be if you use another brand.  You won't be left sticky or smelling like a Lemonhead (haha, I'm funny) because the lemon juice dissipates in the same way that the vinegar scent is gone when you rinse your hair with vinegar.

This works great for campfire or any other unwanted scents!

Cheat: Boar's Hair Brush

Have I mentioned I like this little creation?  Because I really do!  Sometimes, when you're close to washing day, you either notice your scalp is looking a little iffy or your ends are seeming a bit dry.  A boar's hair brush helps evenly distribute natural oils from your scalp to the ends of your hair.  You kill two birds with one stone by using this brush!

Cheat: Homemade Dry Shampoo

Sometimes, you know it's not wash day, but you really need your hair to look nice for a certain event, but it just looks a little too greasy.  While I don't recommend this technique during the transition stage of going No Poo, for someone whose hair has adapted to this method, there isn't too much harm in using this spray in emergency situations.  Here is the recipe for homemade dry shampoo for BLONDE or LIGHT hair only. 

Ingredients:
1 TB cornstarch
4 TB of water
1 TB of rubbing alcohol

Mix it all together in a spray bottle and spray lightly on greasy spots.  Not too much.  Comb or brush through hair to help even it out.  This can be premixed and stored, but make sure you shake it up before you use it. 

Cheat: The Peri Bottle

Image source
The peri bottle has brought many women relief in the postpartum period, but little did we know it's be the perfect size for No Poo washes.  Holding 8 oz, you can easily toss a tablespoon of whatever you're using on your hair, add water, shake it up and apply to your hair.   Easy mixing, no spilling, and perfect proportions.  I know some people that bought quite a few, prefill them with baking soda and apple cider vinegar respectively, and add water once they're in the shower.  I'm not that organized and usually fill mine right as I'm rushing to the shower. 

Best of all, they are fairly cheap



I want to hear from you, No Poo'ers!  What are some of the best tricks you've learned in your Poo Free journey?

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At November 16, 2012 at 8:51 PM , Anonymous Alexa Simpson said...

LOVE IT! You by far have had the best tips and tricks. I have been no-poo for going on 6 months now. I am still experimenting with options  and this is exactly what I was looking for. Something to spruce up my hair when I want to wait a day or two more. Great advice!

 
At December 9, 2012 at 9:43 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I went no poo a few months ago and I love it!! My only frustration is the lack of shine in my hair. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

 
At May 16, 2013 at 3:47 PM , Anonymous Anna Krzy said...

I read all your posts about no poo and I am excited to try this (I wash my thin quickly-greasy hair daily and would love to stop!).

A few questions:
1. Is it bad to wash your hair this way more often? I do hot yoga often, which makes me super sweaty 3-5 times a week, so should I only use water in between the '5' day mark?

2. Does the mixture of baking soda last? Or does it need to be prepared fresh each time? What about the vinegar mixture?

I'm a little skeptical but eager to try this! Yay!

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home