Friday, February 24, 2012

Firsts

One of the most exciting things about being a parent is watching your little one do all the 'firsts' that you've dreamed about.  You imagine how they will say 'I love you' or what their first expressions will be when they experience a swing at the park for the first time.  Or there's those not-so-fun firsts.  The first time they drop a deuce in the bathtub or the first time they figure out how to open the toilet lid. 

At 19 months of age, my daughter is taking in everything!  Watching her interact with the people, things and world around her is the best entertainment.  Her firsts with some of these things provoke the most hilarious and charging responses.

This week we experienced a few firsts:

-She said 'Target' when we went to Target.  PROUD mama moment, the girl knows where she should shop!

-She has really started to beat me in the ABCs.  If I say 'H', before I can say 'I', she says it and grins.

-She had some of her first nitrate-free chicken hot dog and really liked it!  There are some things I'm willing to give on, but eating normal hot dogs is something we won't be doing any time soon.  I've never liked those things after I found out what they were made out of!

-She also had her first sucker or lollipop, which was a gift from Halloween.  She liked it but lost interest after a bit.  I think she would've been happier with some fresh berries.

-We had our first visit to the hospital emergency room.  It was a simple injury (you wouldn't have known by India's crying) and was a quick trip.  The doctor was nice and showed me how to fix nursemaids elbow, in case it happens again.  We figure she did it by throwing her hands up in the air.  No, we weren't dragging her anywhere or throwing her around like a circus puppy.

-We also experienced our first facial bruise the very next day.  She fell off a chair and got a little bruise on her cheekbone.  Thank the Lord she didn't need stitches because I'm pretty sure I could've then blogged about the first time our daughter went to foster care.

-If she doesn't know what something is, she asks, "what's this?" and listens carefully as you tell her its proper name and what it does.  

-She has started to recognize Chinese words that we haven't taught her!  Today, she was watching her Chinese language videos and responding to the directions and questions on the videos!

-We had our first full-blown meltdown in Target.  Completely caught me off guard and she wouldn't tell me what was wrong.  When we got home she told me it was a "poopy" in between sobs.  She wasn't lyin'.  It was a non-stinker and one that burned her really bad.  Poor thing.

-Everything, everything, everything can be and will be used for her babies.  The candle on the table?  It's a cup.  The plant marker in my potted plant?  It's a bottle.  My underwear?  Blankies.
 
-I bought some Playdough (after promising I would make my own because I dislike all the dyes and unknown ingredients) and she had her first Playdough experience.  She LOVED it!  But I'm still going to make my own.  :-)

My daughter LOVES Playdough!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At February 26, 2012 at 1:06 PM , Anonymous Sheila said...

The BEST Play-Dough recipe....I have been using it for 26 years!
1 cup flour
1/4 cup salt
2 Tablespoons cream of tartar
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon veg. oil
Over low heat cook 5-10 min till it sticks to pan
Knead - divide and add color if desired
Keep in air tight containers

Now that I dug out the recipe, I think Ty and I will make some today!  :)

 
At February 27, 2012 at 11:20 AM , Anonymous Sara said...

love it! Even though he's our last (he's India's age), it's still fun to see our little one go through all the "firsts" too!

 
At March 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM , Anonymous Uniquely Normal Mom said...

 Oooh, thank you!  I love to hear the tried and true recipes!

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home