Monday, August 17, 2015

Stitch Fix Review: Summer 2015 Maternity

Hi there. Genevieve, the pregnant lady here. Maybe some of you didn't even know that I'm pregnant because this is my third baby and we all know the jokes about how much attention third kids (don't) get! So anyway, since I'm such a multi-tasker, let this serve as pregnancy announcement too! I've got one happy, bouncy, kick-y, and as-adorable-as-an-alien-ultradsound-pic can show little one growing in me! Makes me smile many times a day! 

But you know what doesn't always make me smile? Frumpiness. Being unable to move much. Nausea. Swelling. Un-sexiness. A booty that has grown to own it's own zip code. I'm going to be honest...this pregnancy is absolutely kicking my butt! 

Because of all that, I really don't feel pretty. At all. I've been feeling the major need to fix myself up and feel a little confident about myself with some new clothes, especially in the summer! You know what else I'm also about to tell you? I've never really bought new maternity clothes. 

Hold up. Yes. Pause.

That's ridiculous, isn't it?! If there is ONE time when a woman should be able to drop $50 on brand new clothing to look cute and dainty and adorable (and any other word I don't feel while pregnant), it should be during her pregnancy. CAN I GET AN AMEN?? 

This being my third pregnancy and my toughest, I set aside my super-frugal, hand-me-down-only ways and have bought a couple tops. Relief! And I felt pretty in them! However, shopping is even more difficult when you're sick a lot and you're managing busy, everyday life along with staying busy teaching about essential oils. When I heard several months ago that Stitch Fix, a personal styling service that is tailored to your taste, lifestyle and budget, was now offering Maternity Fixes, I knew that was on my to do list! (Psst: they are also offering Petite Fixes too!)

I've been using Stitch Fix for over a year and I LOVE it. You can read my first review here. I cannot stress the convenience and also how attentive my stylists have been to my needs.  And as I'm always honest (I just called my baby a little alien-looking, how much more honest can you get?) I want to provide a review for of my first maternity Stitch Fix! 

I want to set the stage a bit: 

  • I have had great experiences with Stitch Fix in the past.
  • I LOVE the free shipping -- both ways!
  • I live in a small town without very many shopping options so this saves me much time and money.
  • I'm normally a size small or extra small and I have problems with Stitch Fix clothes being too big on me as their size small seems bigger than my normal size small. But when I'm pregnant, I gain weight. And quickly. More on this later.
  • My maternity Fix came super fast! Less than a week!
  • I asked specifically for things that were feminine and flow-y (all the things I'm NOT feeling right now at 31 weeks pregnant), a long white dress for a maternity photo shoot, and said I wanted NOTHING above the knees. I have a permanent request for no accessories. I can grab a necklace at Target in two minutes but it takes me two hours to grab one top from Target.
I received my Stitch and was overjoyed! Christmas! In the summer! 

My selections chosen by my stylist, Patrice
Stitch Fix Maternity Box



Add caption
I read the above note and got nervous. I mean, I NEED a beautiful white dress for my maternity shoot! Need. Earth-stopping otherwise. C'mon, Patrice, where is my white dress??

I tore apart my box like the crazy pregnant lady I am. I started trying stuff on immediately! 

Loveappella Peasant Maternity Top, size S, $34:


I really like this top! It's flow-y, loose, comfortable and will, like my stylist suggested, fit well postpartum! The neckline has a slight dip so it's not just a boring black shirt. I have ROOM TO GROW in this shirt! However, I don't know if I'll get much use out of it right now in the summer heat but for $34 and lots of versatility, I really can't go wrong! It will also be easy for nursing postpartum!

Verdict: Keep.

3-Pack Maternity Cami, Size S, $44:

Camis are essential to any pregnant or nursing mother's wardrobe! Necessary! But being that this is my third baby, I have lots already. These colors were great but not only do I have these already, but they were bit small on my growing chest. However, they were VERY supportive!

Verdict: Return.

Full Moon Maternity Knit Top,  Size S, $48.

This shirt is cute. Adorable actually. The contrasting colors really pop and it fit well with some room to grow over my belly. My girls up to were feeling a bit crowded though! The fabric of this shirt wasn't the best quality, which was disappointing for a $48 shirt. I also didn't feel like I 'needed' this shirt. I wanted more feminine and beautiful and I felt this shirt said Soccer Mom.

Verdict: Return.

Full Moon Liam Lace Henley Maternity Top in Teal Green, Size S, $48.

This photo doesn't even do the color on this top justice! So perfect and fresh! I love the lace neckline and the arms are very slimming with the 3/4ths sleeve buttons. I didn't feel like I had much room to grow in this - neither in my tummy or chest (and both will continue to grow!). Had I got this in my second trimester, I probably would've kept it. Dang. 

Verdict: Return.

Either Sixty Gabre Maternity Dress in Navy, Size S, $94.



YOU ALL...this dress is a show stopper! Gorgeous! My husband loved this on me as well. Love the partially open back, the placement of the waist band and the gentle nature of this this dress. However, I can't wear anything above the knees whilst pregnant as I have an UGLY varicose vein and this is REALLY above the knees on a girl like me who is 5'8".  If I were to even sit down in this dress, everyone would get to see what my midwife sees. Hello! It was also, again, too tight on my chest. I'm sensing a theme here... The fabric was clinging together for its dear, precious, God-blessed life across my girls. If it would have been coral or light pink or cream in color AND a bigger size, I maybe would've kept it and paired it with black leggings. But I'm not sure for $94. I know I could've got some leggings to wear with this navy colored dress but I really don't want to. That's the point: I have no desire to go shopping. And plus, different colored leggings won't make my boobs shrink. Sigh. I HATE sending this back, but it's for the best. Find your new home, little friend! I loved you for every minute I wore you!

Verdict: Return. 

In the end:

I kept only one piece of my 5-piece Maternity Fix, a $34 shirt, so that's not bad! I was bummed that I didn't have more flow-y stuff, MY WHITE DRESS WAS MISSING and things seems to be a little snug on my chest. However, I'm not super bummed about it because I know I've gained weight and exponentially grown in the chest, making it difficult for my usual sizes to fit me. How was my dear stylist, Patrice, to know that I'm REALLY serious with this whole, "I get really big when I'm pregnant" thing? 

I'm currently debating getting another Fix! Since it came so fast and now I can tell my stylist to find more items in size medium for this mama, it may be an option. What do you think? Worth it or not for only 8-ish more weeks of pregnancy? 


Disclaimer: Yes, I am affiliated with Stitch Fix and get compensation for my efforts. However, I think you can see I'm more than honest in my reviews and I'm not afraid to say what I didn't like and what I loved! If you want to sign up for a regular Stitch Fix, a Maternity Stitch Fix or a Petite Stitch Fix, I'd be honored if you'd use my referral link!  


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home